From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:13:54 -0800
I'm a few days late on piggy backing some thoughts on the e-mail about
the value of SOS (support Our Shelters), but I wanted to be sure my
information was accurate.

There are some very grand and selfless ferret lovers out there who are
the main push behind Support Our Shelters. They run a very professional
organization, which helps many, many ferrets across the country. In my
opinion, if ferrets are being helped so are the humans who stand with
those ferrets. This is definitely a good thing! Kudos to those folks!!

I am on a mission to spread the word to shelter operators, ferret
lovers and owners of the value of being on the SOS list. As well as
reminding readers that the organization is out there and can be most
helpful. You do not have to be a 501 c 3 organization to be listed or
receive help. You simply need to contact the appropriate person there
(Sharon Bearden, I believe) to join. If you are a member, and are in
need of help, see if your request fits the requirements of their
charter. They have the Blizzard Memorial Emergency Fund for ferrets
who are taken into a shelter and may need special meds or surgery
beyond the shelter's financial ability. They are able to see that food
is sent to shelters in crisis and direct folks to people around them
who can be of assistance in one way or another.
www.supportourshelters.org

In just the last 5 days, I have referred folks to the SOS list to look
for shelters in their area who may have the information they need.
Shelter Directors can be a wealth of information. This is the perfect
place to seek a ferret savvy veterinarian. Remember, each shelter lists
the vets they use as their shelter vets. This can be a lifesaving piece
of information for a ferrant in need. It can be an avenue to place a
ferret if someone is looking to adopt. I am always hopeful (that
positive thinking again) that the listing might just bring shelters a
worthy volunteer or donations. www.supportourshelters.org

Two week ends ago I was able to locate a person on the east coast who
has had to close her shelter, but who continues to offer ferrety advice
when asked. Shelter folks don't typically forget all they have learned
over the years - even if they are not running a shelter. The SOS list
includes shelters around the world, not just in the U.S.

If you run a shelter or need ferrety advice, please consider being
added to the SOS list or using the SOS site - mark it on your
favorites so you can find it quickly. www.supportourshelters.org.

Just my two cents.

Cathy Ryan

Feed rescued animals in two clicks