From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 11:44:32 -0400
>From:    Kevin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Some stinking questions
>1. Whole male ferrets stink (fact)
>2. If the ferret is fixed there really is no need to descent.
>3. If #2 was fact for males as well as females, then If we have him
>   vacetomized(spelling is horrible) instead of fixed, will he still stink,
>   or will he not.
>5. If vactomized and not fixed, will a male ferret still have the more
>   aggressive tendencies of a whole ferret?

1. Undeniable (but ONLY) while in season.  The rest of the time they are
   fine.
2. True.  But no need to descent whole or vasectomized either (in most
   cases).
3. Every bit as much as a whole.  Don't consider this.  Full neuter
   only.  Unless you definitely plan to breed.
5. Yup.

>From:    Vanessa Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Yellow ferrets
Yellow in ferrets is often from the diet.  "Totally Ferret" for example is
excellent highly recommended but it does have a side effect of turning some
ferrets yellow from the chicken fat (I've been told).  Years ago there were
"red sables" and "red cinnamon" ferrets but they aren't seen any more.  The
color went away about the same time people switche to better food with out
the food coloring.

Sables often have a gold undercoat which is normal.  It at times is highly
desired and at others the fad is for white to gray undercoats.

Staining can also come from the natural oils a ferret secretes.  Younger
kits and much older ferrets are whiter than ferrets in their prime (1 to 3
years say).  Over washing (I think every two weeks is borderline too much)
can force a ferret to secrete more of the necessary oils to replace what was
washed out.  This causes more yellowing.  Oh and whole ferrets are more
yellowed than altered ferrets.  It is usually nothing to worry about.

>From:    Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Toeing the Rabies Line...Clarification
>I just want to make it very clear that I am not, in any way, attacking Jeff
>Johnston or those in the epidemiology/public health field.  I am speaking
>out against the "information" they are dispensing to the public.

Since this has been brought up.  I am preparing an effort to educate or have
replaced a Virginia state epidemiologist.  This person has been a source of
bad information used against ferrets in legalisation efforts across the
country.  Right now I am in a fact finding mode.  I will be calling on all
of the various ferret groups and enthusiasts for support.  An inspiration
for this is the wonderful work done by Diane Rogers and all of the rest of
the Marylandferret folks that got their quarentine bill through.  This
effort in Virginia should help in California by removing a major foe of
theirs.

Most epidemiologists are not dispensing bad information.  Some are.  We
need to be sure which is which.

>From:    Krista Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: international certificate
>My ferrets are moving to the States - do they need some sort of
>international certificate?  or do they just need their vet records?

Several people have imported ferrets recently.  Very little was needed.  Far
less than probably should have been actually.  Lars Erikson personally
brought several in (Loki and Valkyrie now live with us).  I hope he pops in
with the details of what he needed.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm