From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:33:40 EDT
Krystal,

You brought up several good points and I have wondered the same as you.
I have contacted 22 vets between yesterday and this morning in an effort
to find out if any of them know of side effects or if it might be worth
trying the vaccine.  Though 17 of them stated to me that ferrets are
similiar to dogs and they don't know what reactions may be caused since
they have not experienced it, they though it might help bring them extra
protection.  Two vets said they didn't know and thought a study should
be done.  The remaining vets said there would be or should not be any
reactions.  Though this is too small a number for me to attempt the shots
with some type of written information on the shots reactions even in dogs
or if anyone has tried them on ferrets.

I am not sure what you area you live in or if you have several good
ferret vets in the area.  I have called vets in the tri-state area and
they seem not to know if there are any side effects.

I would not try to the shots unless all possible side effects are known
prior to administering the shot.  Also what vaccines were you looking to
use?  What company or brand?

Thanks,
Dawn Smith