Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:56:23 -0500
We've had a rice box for around 9months and the kids LOVE it.
Interestingly enough, I hit on a better solution this weekend.  Bear
decided to use the rice box as a litter box (of course, he has absolutely
no interest in using the real litter box, except as a really nifty sandbox.
Go figure.) The rice was, of course, contaminated, so I dumped the 5 pounds
of rice into the trash and scrubbed the plastic bin.  That was when I
discovered I was out of rice.  The boys were waiting expectantly and so
helped me search the pantry for a proper substitute.  After explaining
that, No, I wouldn't fill it with Cheerios, and No, they couldn't have the
brand new paper towel rolls to shread all over the kitchen, we hit upon
popcorn.  I had a couple of stashed Y2K bags of unpopped, non-microwavable
popcorn.  Wow!  What an excellant hit that was.  Not only do I not have
to worry about them getting rice in their ears, noses and mouths, but the
popcorn is easier to see on the white tile floor.  No more bare feet on
rice.  (You do realize that anything that goes into a sandbox/ rice box
ultimately ends up all over the floor, don't you?) The kids LOVE it.  The
corn makes more noise and is tons better to burrow through.  Even Miesa,
the princess, forgot herself and danced with wild abandon through the
popcorn.  So there you have it, inspiration by necessity.

As for the box springs, I finally gave up and ripped the fabric off the
underside of the box springs.  Now they hold absolutely no appeal at all.
The kids all ignore the open springs now that it's no longer a good place
to hide toys and all the hammock-like characteristics have vanished.  Now
if only I could figure out a way to make socks unappealing...

One quick question- Tazzy, my 7 1/2 year old female, has black spots all
over her chin and cheeks.  It looks just like the tail acne she gets
periodically, except there is no hair loss.  I've tried scrubbing her
face gently (always a joy) to no avail.  Looking at her, you'd just think
her face is dirty, but I can't seem to get it off.  Help!  Any clues?

Thanks,
Wessi and the Wienie Rats