From:
Hofa Membership <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:07:23 -0700
People, people, people.  Why must we always attack those creators in the
entertainment industry who use ferrets in a negative form, such a using
them as food, poking fun of the species, or using them as another form
that we, as ferrets lovers, may take offense to?  We read too much in
to every incident that the entertainment industry uses the ferret in
other ways than construing it as a great pet.  Doesn't the entertainment
industry use other animals, such as dogs, cats, pigs, etc, in the same
fashion at times?  We, as the public, don't seem to throw a fit when a
dog or another animal is killed for food in the industry.

In the defense of JK Rowling, I can say she DOES NOT have a problem with
ferrets!  I am a big Harry Potter fan and did not take offense to her
using ferrets as Buckbeak's food in the 3rd book or turning Malfoy into
a ferret in the 4th book.  I only hope that if they choose to film the
seen in the 4th book where they turn Malfoy in to a ferret, we will not
be posting more messages stating dislike for Jk Rowling and her famed
Harry Potter books.

On Jk Rowling's personal website, she posts articles, rumors, extra
stuff, etc about her books and herself.  In an area of the website, she
talks about when she gave the surname to the Weasley family.  In the
article, she talks about the mustelidae family.  This is an excerpt from
the paragraph:
"In Britain and Ireland the weasel has a bad reputation as an unfortunate
even malevolent, animal.  However, since childhood I have has a great
fondness for the family mustelidae; not so much malignant as maligned,
in my opinion."

The last sentence she basically states that the reputation of ferrets
given in Britain is that of an evil or bad nature (malignant), but she
believes the statement as false (maligned).  For those that would like
to see this statement for themselves, follow these directions.  Go to
http://www.jkrowling.com
Choose the British Flag for the website to be displayed in English (a
new window will appear with the contents of the site).  Click on the
picture of the coffee cup (titled "extra stuff").  When the "extra stuff"
content pops up, choose the "characters" tab on the book.  Choose the
article "Some Random Facts About The Weasley Family." In this article,
you will find the above statement.

I hope the above information helps those who took offense to JK Rowling
using ferrets as what as some view as a negative nature.  JK Rowling is
a brilliant author, and should be thought as nothing but such.

Sincerely,
Erin Ramirez and Andy, Oliver, Clifford, Grizzley,
Gimli, Morgan, Madison, and Sitka