From:
West End Animal Hospital <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:33:09 -0500
Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM
West End Animal Hospital
103 SW 140th Terrace
Newberry, FL 32669
(352)332-4357

I feel I must enter the fray concerning blood-drawing, since it's a subject
upon which I advise dozens of vets every year.

I take exception with the statement that "all methods of drawing blood are
risky".  The method I use is simple (once you practice a little), does not
require anesthesia, allows one to draw from 0.1 cc's to 10 cc's, and is so
safe all my technicians can do it.  I rarely have to draw blood myself
anymore, except to demonstrate to people.

I have heard other vets express concern, since this method involves taking
blood from the cranial vena cava, which is where the two jugular veins
converge.  They tend to be concerned because this is the same area used to
draw blood in pigs, and in pigs it is theoretically dangerous.  However,
I've used this method for thirteen years and have taught scores of people
how to do it.  No ferret has ever died or had a serious problem.  The worst
complication I've ever seen is a hematoma, and even that was small.

I hope that's helpful.

Debbie Kemmerer DVM