Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:13:58 +0000
Dear Jodi-

This is Ping is He. You have some questions about ah, neutering. I
think I can help you. You wrote:

1. How old should the female and male be when I spay/neuter? I have
heard suggestion of 5-6 months for the girl and as long as I can wait
for the male (6-12months).

Actually, you should wait about fourteen years for the male, maybe
fifteen. There is no hurry. Where's the fire? Let him come into his
full potential. Surely you know the old saying, "Neuter in haste,
repent at leisure!"

2. Depending on when I can spay/neuter, when do I have to separate
the cage mates so there are no accidents (allowing for the optimum
maturity before spay/neuter).

Here again you need to arrive at a proper definition of 'optimum
maturity before spay/neuter' before you go any further. A male is like
a fine wine. Rush things, and you lose those fine, oaky, complex, and
round tones that mark the finest vintages. (Shudder!)

3. I know that the boys hormones will kick in and sometimes they may
try to hump other ferrets. Is it best for me to separte him once this
happens until he gets neutered (or until I get the girl spayed???)

No. Let him get it out of his system. Provide him free access to as
many females as you have until the fire in his soul is extinguished,
naturally and harmlessly. Let him hump his everlovin' brains out. Let
him hump until he wears his belly fur bald and the glare from his navel
is blinding.

I hope I have been of some small assistance.

P.I.H.