From:
tootsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:03:47 -0500
I myself know of one person who had a ferret before they were legal in
MA and this little girl was raised on iams kitten food and froot loops
without any problems her entire life and lived to be 9 years old!  She
was NOT spayed at 4-6weeks old either!  but rather just before or around
her first heat!  She was a little panda.  As for shots, I cannot
remember, as for finding out, we are not speaking with this person at
this time.  He had to take her to the state where he bought her to have
her fixed.  When I first saw this ferret I thought it was cute, but can
you believe it, I was scared of it and scared of getting bitten by it
because of the way it acted so crazy!  Look at me now- owned by 15 and
now they're my favorite pet.

I now have a boy I adopted a few months ago who was raised on the Walmart
food for 6 years and he is my healthiest of the older ferrets!  My 3
original ferrets, that I have had since they were kits, who are 6 almost
7 on the other hand, which I have babied with all kinds of ferret food ,
have adrenal disease and insolinoma!  For the past 2-3 years or so, I
have made a huge batch of chicken soup every week so that they get it at
least once a day.  I make sure all my ferts get some everyday and the
ones with insolinoma, get the chicken gravy type!  I just do not
understand this at all!  I have switched him to my homemade soup and now
he will not eat on his own unless desperate.  He is a loner and I enjoy
sitting him in my lap and hand feeding him with a spoon out of his bowl 2
x a day.  ( I have to do this to Bear every day, though he doesn't enjoy
his food as much as he used too anymore.)

Eleanor