Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:59:04 -0400
Hi

This is an issue which has disturbed me very deeply.In recent years, I have
come to the conclusion that breeding any animal on such a large scale is
morally wrong.For many years I raised and showed Shetland Sheepdogs, angora
rabbits, ferrets and canaries.  I raised only a small number, usually only
one litter a year.Our animals were members of our family and I spent a lot
of time interviewing prospective owners, fully informing them about the
responsibilities involved.  In some cases I did not sell to certain people
because I felt they were impulse buyers and would not love or care for
the animal responsibly.In spite of my care, I was still duped on several
ocassions by "good liars".  I sold 2 puppies to a person who I discovered
later, owned a puppy mill.Those dogs died giving birth.I sold a horse foal
to someone who I thought knew and loved horses, but she abused him.The new
owner who had purchased him at auction, said my once loving baby was now a
vicious biter.I gave 2 retired breeder ferrets to a shelter who told me
they had people waiting for ferrets.I thought this person was trustworthy,
and I told him only under the condition they would be pets.Well guess,
what?  He turned around, broke up the pair(who were friends) and sold one,
that I told him had a history of mastitis, to be a breeder for a
veterinarian.

So, no matter how careful you are in screening prospective owners, there
will always be a few who are dishonest and misrepresent themselves.If
someone like myself, has made these mistakes, then imagine how the lives of
many of the ferrets and other pets who are sold by "mills" and pet shops
end up.The "mill" does little or no follow-up ,so it is likely that a
higher percentage of these animals often end up abused, abandoned,ignored,
or go from home to home.To be honest, I could not sleep at night if I
exploited animals for money on such a large scale.I would also like to add
that I no longer raise animals of any kind, and I do not eat meat because
my conscience just wont let me.I really enjoyed raising those precious
babies and loved every one of them.However, today there is so much cruelty
and irresponsibility.  To many people animals are "disposable".I cant deal
with that anymore.My other concern is about the welfare of the breeder
animals.Even if a breeder really loves their animals, it would be extremely
difficult, if not impossible to give adequate love and attention to 400 or
more breeders.

Granted, without the big "mills" there may be a shortage of ferrets and the
price might increase dramatically.However, I feel it would be worth it, if
it would improve the quality of life for these animals.This post was not
intended to "bash" anyone.  Its purpose was to question the morality of
such large scale breeding and its effect on the well-being of the animals.

Kathy