From:
Michelle or William Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:41:50 -0400
Regarding monitors.. our Vet kept getting very low readings on a
friend's ferret, (a fellow rescuer), to the point that we felt the
ferret would be seizing, were the readings correct. The vet is using a
'human' monitor. In researching monitors, I found one called Alphatrak
2, made for pets.The monitor has 2 settings, cat and dog. According the
the company, set it on the 'dog', or #7 setting for ferrets. The next
time my friend took her adrenal/insulinomic ferret in, we took the new
monitor. The Vet's monitor..blood glucose reading, 44, the Alphatrak 2
reading was 88. A bit low, but acceptable for them to proceed with
surgery.

Both my VBFF friend Lori, and her now lump-free ferret, Roach, are
doing great! Amazon has them, but shop around. I got Lori's for about
100.00 that included everything needed. The strips need a minute amount
of blood, give you an additional 60 seconds to 'fill the strip' and
doing a 'tip of the tail stick' is also going unnoticed by Roach!

michelle,willie, n the gang of 3