From:
Pamela Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:01:02 -0700
Hi all.  We're about 4 weeks in to ferret ownership, with our two little
sable guys - Jasper and Willie (littermates who are about 10 weeks old
now).  They seem to be hearty and healthy, and think that they can fly, as
evidenced by their tendency to try to make it from the laundry hamper to
the bed in a single bound.  :) While we're learning a lot as we go along,
have a very good vet, and lots of books, we (like all new parents) still
have questions, such as:

1) They sneeze and cough from time to time.  Am I right in assuming that
the coughing is probably from all the fur that they're pulling off of each
other (causing furballs) when they're wrestling?  And the sneezing is
probably from the dust bunnies they encounter under our bed?  We've been
giving them Ferretlax, and their poop is wellformed, substantial and solid.
No lack of energy or appetite.

2) They are fearless when it comes to jumping and falling off of things.
We keep them in their "ferret condo" or closely supervised in the two
ferret proofed rooms in the house... but, they are very active and still
take a tumble from the upper platform of their cage, or off the side of
the bathtub or top of the clothes hamper on a fairly regular basis.  So,
the question is, how far is too far for a ferret to fall?

And finally, someone suggested to me that putting ferretone on their
bellies while I cut their nails would keep them occupied and fairly still.
That method works like a charm!!  Although, Willie will chase Jasper down
to clean up any leftovers that Jasper got bored with when their nails are
done.

;)
Jasper's and Willie's Pet,
Pam