From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:15:22 -0700
(Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever reached my daily posting
limit!  LOL)

I think it's great that people are giving their advice on what to do for
our ferrets.  I tend to think in worst-case scenarios, and after going
through 4 hurricanes in 2 years, I'm glad I do.  So...

My advice would be to print out and put in a three-ring binder as much
medical information as you can about these little guys.  You never know
when you might need it, and the internet access is acting up, electricity
is out, computer crashes, etc...

I would start with the most common emergencies: blockage, bleeding,
vomiting, seizures, hind-end weakness, etc.

Then include poison information, including poison center contact numbers.

Then the most common diseases, their symptoms, and info on treatment:
adrenal, insulinoma, cysts, ECE, DIM, ADV, etc.

Then a list of vets in your area who are ferret knowledgeable (who knows
what might happen to your vet or his clinic... tornadoes and mudslides
can be very selective), then include that info for areas you might
evacuate to - relative's home cities, nearby "safe" places, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to keep somewhere (either with this notebook, your
first aid kit, or the meds themselves) a list of which ferret gets what
meds, how much and how often.

If you grab 4 things, you'll keep your furry babies safe in an
emergency - the ferrets themselves (in a carry cage of some sort), their
food, a ferret first-aid kit, and this notebook.

Just my thoughts. :) Give your fuzzies an extra cuddle and kiss today!

Debbie