From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:18:37 -0400
Hi group.  I have a friend who is going to New Zealand for vacation.  She
has offerred to check out the ferrets there, maybe bring back a NZ ferret
for me !!!  I am wondering if that would be possible - any info would be
appreciated.  I think I recall reading there is a problem with ADV in
some NZ ferrets, and I believe they are being declared illegal there -
breeders are being phased out.  Anyone know the latest on these issues ?
Also, I am wondering about shipping, vets, shots, travel clearances,
importing fees and restrictions, requirements ... we would prefer to pay
extra to have it in the cabin for the trip, if possible, but no idea if
that is possible on a trans-continental flight - also they have to go
thru Hawaii on the return flight.  Anyone done this, have any experience,
where do I start, or should I just forget it ???

Maybe I should mention that I currently down to 4 ferrets, just buried my
little Sugar girl yesterday (bilateral adrenalectomy & cardiomyopathy) -
I have had 15 total, all but two were rescues.  Sugar and her sister
Taz (bilateral but still kicking) were from a very reputable breeder
in Georgia known for her good healthy stock (we won't go into ferret
adrenal-lymphoma-insulinoma issues, or the $$$ here).  I'll continue
to rescue and adopt, just hoping to find one without all the health
problems - and a really BIG male with a short "bulldog" face would be
an extra treat ... thanks ...