Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:30:53 -0600
Hey all.  My roommate and I have a case of ferret math, and boy do we have
it bad!!  When I moved in with her last fall, we just had my two, Reverend
Maynard and Edie.  Since then, Katie has found herself to be a hopeless
slave to ferrets, too, and we have added Cosette and Static (hers).  The
other day, we went to the Houston Area Ferret Association meeting and met a
lot of neat ferret people from here, and Katie was struck by the sudden urge
for a new baby (well, we had been thinking about finding a large male...).
She really wanted to adopt, but the only ECE-free male was a deaf one (we're
still learning to deal with Cosette, who's deaf and needs special attention
and signals), so she bought Magkij znak (Mee-yak-i-znak).  Magkij znak is an
8 wk.  old sable roan kit and he's only 6 oz.  less than Static, a full
grown female.  I think he's going to be one of the HUGE MF guys...and such a
sweetie.

I noticed the vet response to the person who asked about ferrets getting
strep throat.  (sorry I didn't write down the names).  I really wouldn't
worry too much about the ferret getting strep.  If there is anyone on the
list who's experienced something to contradict this, I'd love to hear
(really).  But about two years ago, I came down with Scarlet Fever (I was a
source of awe to medical students everywhere)...so few people get this
anymore that I was terrified about what would happen to the ferrets....would
they get it, would they die from it (it's not an easy disease to recover
from, even for people).  Scarlet Fever is the same bacteria (?I think
bacteria, not virus) as Strep Throat, from what my drs. told me...just that
a weakened body or an allergic reaction to the strep stuff could cause the
body rash & stuff that distinguishes Scarlet Fever from Strep.  Needless to
say, no one could tell me whether or not the ferrets would get it, but they
had been exposed to it before I knew what it was.  They never got it.  I
heard that strep is pretty much the same way, but I'd like to know if this
is false....I am, unfortunately, prone to strep and wouldn't wish it upon my
ferts.

Well, I guess I will go play with Magkij znak, as he is biting my toes for
attention.  Hug your ferrets for me...at the rate we're going at my apt, our
numbers may soon be a force to be contended with.

Later.
Kelly
Reverend Maynard, Edie, Cosette, Static and Magkij znak.
                                   --->Kelly
 |\__\           /__/|          Head of Animal Optometry
 |  o o         o o  |          "Damn you, Let the Rabbits wear glasses"
/    =p=    =q=    \          University of Houston
Reverend Maynard: "I'm not looking at you."  Edie: "Snore, squeak."
** "The following sentence is true.  The previous sentence is false." **