From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:36:50 -0700
Hi Everyone!  I just wanted to update what our decision was on a
companion for our Merlin.  We thank you for your comments and went
to see the 3 babies that were available with an open mind.  Merlin
is now a happy camper with 3 LADIES to share his life with!!!!

The first girl ........ Albino like our Merlin - was single but had been
with a mate prior to her being turned in - she was crazy over our Merlin
right away!  And he with her.  They ran around and played nicely with
each other.

My husband and I then had to see the other two......The one that was a
biter ( Black Eyed White ) and the other was a Mink colored sable.  These
girls are about Merlins age?  They then joined in the play session.  The
Mink colored one rea lly wanted to be with our boy....... running after
him and mounting him with love nibbles to his neck.  Very amusing to
watch what was taking place.  The Albino and the Black Eyed white got
into a little disagreement and so we did have to separate them.  Merlin
then was tuckered out and scratched to get into one of the carriers that
I had brought along.  The mink colored girl climbed in with him .  She
wanted to snuggle but Merlin wasn't too sure about that.  He was ready
for some SLEEP!

When we got home I had to put the two bonded girls together and the
single Albino girl went in with Merlin.  This is working for now.  I am
letting them all out for playtime together and they are slowly getting
use to one an other.  The Mink colored one won't leave Merlin alone....
she just seems to love him!  The Black Eyed White that is known to
bite ......did give my husband some "love nips" that night while he was
holding her but noth ing bad.  We are careful not to get bit - we just
let her come to us and that he lps a lot.  Last night when I had them
out - she came over to me and I picked h er up.  She looked like she
might at first want to give me a taste but I held he r and talked to her
softly, petting her lightly until she closed her eyes.  Then she slowly
got more and more limp until her head finally fell down over my knee and
her pink little tongue came out just slightly.  She was out like a light!

So .......either I am very boring to listen to - or she is getting more
and more comfortable with me!!  lol...........

I can't wait for the day to come when they can all be together in one big
cage......snuggled together in a heap.  But for now - I am willing to
give them all the time they need to get use to each other........I do
not want to push them on each other.  I want it to be at their pace - not
mine.  I will not force them to co-habitat if that is what they end up
choosing.  I am hopeful that they will all get along in the end.  It has
not even been a week yet so there is a lot more to learn and get use to.
Just the fact that the biter was so relaxed in my lap last night was a
wonderful feeling!!  I feel I have made an impression on her on a very
early introductory level.

Thank you all for your suggestions and for listening!

"Jumpin Fuzzbutts"