From:
Sue Dastous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:05:04 -0400
Hi Jennifer,

On Monday, August 26, 1996, you wrote:
>Has anyone developed a rash who owns ferrets?  I am NOT allergic to fur...

Shortly after getting my first ferret, 4.5 years ago, I developed a red
itchy rash on my face and neck.  It was so bad at one time that my face was
a red mask.  (Yuck!) Like you, I have never been allergic to any animal fur.
I asked the dermatologist if it could be caused by my new ferret, and he
assured me that it wasn't.  (!) He diagnosed it as "atopic eczema", which is
eczema that occurs for unexplained reasons.  (Like a new pet maybe?!  ...
hmmm) BTW, my first ferret, Sammy, seems to scratch more than the others.
And I know he doesn't have fleas or anything.

The doctor gave me some prescription cream that helped control the rash.
After about a year, it seemed to get better and I was using the cream less
and less.  I now have four ferrets and am rarely bothered by the rashes.  I
use an over-the-counter cortizone cream whenever I have flare ups and that
seems to work well.

Good Luck!

Sue and the Fuzzy Four (Sammy, Tequila, Cinnamon and Buddy...*dook,dook*)