From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:00:24 -0500
Q:"[My ferret] loves to roll around in anything stinky....yesterday she was
   rolling around in the cat's box.  Is this a normal behavior and if not,
   what should I do?"

A: Run neckid in the streets, yellin' "My ferret takes poop baths?"

It's a normal behavior, although it is not as noticed in ferrets because
of the tight control we keep on them (harm to roll in stinky stuff while
living in a wire cage or running in most living rooms).  I've noticed my
ferrets love to roll around in stinky stuff, and reguarly allow them to do
so.  I spray a little cologne in a plastic bag, toss some stink weed in the
plastic wading pool, and even throw in plastic bags which once held smelly
food products so the ferrets can roll around in stink.  I think that is one
reason they love shoes so much; because of the relatively intense odor,
which to an animal so dependent on smell must be a real treat.  My shoes
are olfactory Picassos.  Stink Art.

There are probably a lot of reasons for this behavior, but I'll only
discuss the two most likely; skin disorders and odor camouflage.  It is
possible your ferret might be rolling around in the cat box because it is
the closest thing to mud that it can find and the rolling behavior is an
atempt to relieve the suffering from some sort of a skin disorder.  Common
skin disorders include ringworm, ticks, chiggers, lice, dry skin, mites,
flea or mosquito bites, or even allergies.  I would do two things to make
sure this isn't the case.  First, I would run a flea or nit comb through
the ferret's fur to see if I could find any sign of insect infestation.  I
would also carefully inspect the ferret's skin (under the fur), paying
close attention to the groin and armpits, around the ears, and the base of
the tail.  If both inspection show ANY evidence of a problem, see a vet for
treatment.  Keep in mind that if one ferret has a problem, the rest might
have one as well, especially if ringworm or lice.

The second reason for stinky play is odor camouflage.  Ferrets are
predators and terrestrial predators are particularly subject to their prey
detecting them by their smell.  So they tend to rub or roll around in
stinky stuff in an attempt to disguise their odor.  A case of, better to
smell like crap than go without a meal.  So when the wild polecat ancestor
of the ferret was hunting a rabbit, the rabbit's last thought could have
been, "Boy, SOMEONE smells like poop...eeek!"

I think allowing ferrets to express natural behaviors is a good way to
allow them to relieve stress and frustration.  So, allowing ferrets to
experience new smells and to have the oportunity to roll around in them is
a good idea.  Maybe not rolling around in cat poop; especially if your cat
is allowed access to the outside and could be hosting worms or potientially
harmfull bacteria.  I suggest you remove the cat box during the ferret
runs.  Or you can clamp a wood cover over the tray if you hate lugging it
around (I use an old dining hall tray).  THEN, provide a safe subsitute for
your ferret to wade through, such a liquid smoke sprinkled on some tree
leaves, or purfume sprayed on grass clippings.  Compost is fun, or just
plain dirt.  A cheap $10 child's plastic wading pool is great for holding
the stinky stuff, as well as most of the "splashings."

By the way, when I introduce a new ferret into the group, sometimes the
attention it recieves can run into the "mean and nasty" category.  I have
found that filling the wading pool with grass clipings and getting them
good and damp with artifical vanilla flavoring is a good way to sneak a
"newbee" in.  First, I wash all the ferrets, old and new, with a good
oil-removing shampoo.  Then, after some drying time has elapsed, I allow
the group to wallow in the grass until they all smell like 'nilla wafers.
I then spray the new ferret down with vanilla and toss it right in.  Odor
disguise not only works against prey, but helps in "group politics" as
well.  While a few ferts might not be fooled, most of the rest don't
realize they are smelling a new ferret because the identifying oils have
been removed and replaced with an artifical group smell.  It dosn't
always work, but it can help.  It's at least worth a few giggles.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Stinky Slinkly Fursnakes