Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:51:32 -0700
>I've heard them warn people with small children not to touch it, or to be
>very careful about washing their hands afterwards as iguanas tend to carry
>some particularly nasty thing.  I can't for the life of me remember what it
>is, but we all went and thoroughly washed our hands after touching him.  It
>seems that it was one of the things normally associated with rotting
>meat/food, but again, I really don't remember.
>
>Does anyone know what this is?  Is it something that could be dangerous
>to the ferrets?

Salmonella!  IE:  Food poisoning......
Yes, it IS potentially hazardous to ferrets, and humans.  Because reptiles
and amphibians are cold blooded, the bacteria's natural 'killer', warmth,
is not present, so the little nasties are very common and when introduced
to a warm blooded mammal, will 'explode' and overwhelm it's new host.
Turtles are the worst culprits.  One of the many reasons they aren't being
sold anymore.

I really didn't respond to the reptiles and ferret question earlier.  I
should have.  I am president of the local Herpetological Society.  NEVER
let your herps and your furkids mingle.  I guarantee a disaster will occur.
You may think your fuzzy is faster than the strike of a large snake or than
the whip of an iguna's tail, but you are wrong and the end result would be
a dead ferret.  THAT is an absolute.  Don't take a chance.

'Nuff said......

MC  (The Rude One)