From:
Michael G Chaput <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 13:13:52 -0500
Hey BIG, that end comment on the last list, ("you don't own a dog, do
you?"), WHAT A LEG CROSSER!  Almost fell off my chair.  I bet Letterman
steals it.  Funniest gag I've heard in long time.  Thanks.

To Marc Wilson, wondering about showering with ferrets.  I recall doing the
same thing back in my college days with Max 1.  (I'm now on Max 2.) It never
bothered him any, and he never had any problem with water in his ears.
However, do make sure your relatively clean to begin with.  Because all that
dirt runs off you to a small pool at your ferrets feet.  Also no open sores
or athlete's foot allowed.  Best to get your major cleaning done first and
then bring your ferret in for his washing.

To the anonymous poster who said the vulcan death pinch wasn't working: give
it more time.  Make sure your ferret is yawning.  That's how to tell when
you have the correct grip.  Stroke her face with your fingers, don't put
them near the mouth.  It will take time to instill in your ferret who the
dominate person is here.  (Yes I know it's them, but you can't let them know
that.) Keep trying.  It is nature.  He/she will respond in time.

Also, someone posted a while back about ways of getting around with your
ferret outside the house.  When my ferret and I travel about town, I wear a
lite or heavy jacket that snaps tight at the waist.  my ferret can ride on
the inside of the jacket and frequently just naps in the back with no- one
aware he is even there.  If he wants to look around he pokes his head out of
the front that is usually zippered up halfway.  I also carry a cheap black
camera bag.  Y'know those bags you see photographers carrying that have a
dozen zippered pockets all over it.  This acts like a "babies" bag with
which I can carry food and water in small tupperware, leash and harness,
papertowel for public accidents, etc., all in their proper place.  My ferret
(and I suspect yours) will not crap in the jacket because that's where he
sleeps.  So he's good about wanting to come out of the jacket when it's time
to doo.  If possible he gets put down.  But if your in a building for
example, then you put him in the camera bag's main compartment.  Have the
bottom lined with paper towels, and he will do it there.  Clean up
afterwards, and pop in trash receptacle.

This is also a great setup for my favorite Hallowe'en costume.  I go as that
chest-bursting guy from the first Alien movie.  Instead of a jacket wear a
second sweater, tucked in, with a gore whole about chest level.  Add a few
dabs of red food coloring to the ferret, and Wowzers!  Every time he pokes
his head out to see whats going on, people freak twice.  First is when they
go "What a neat rubber alen you got there." And the second is when the alien
licks their fingers.

                                       Regards,

                                       Mike Chaput