From:
Cheryl Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:26:13 -0400
I have only been on this list for about a year, although I have owned
ferrets for almost 30 years now. I have laughed at quite a few of the
messages posted here about silly ferret antics, and I have cried at
the news of many a ferret's passing.

I wish to thank all who have posted about accidents with their ferrets.
Even though it is heartbreaking to read some of these posts, it is
important to get the message out that no matter how vigilant we are
about our pet's safety, accidents do happen. No one can be 100% safe.
But, we can all learn from those who have suffered, and maybe,
recognize a danger in our own households that would have been
completely overlooked otherwise, had someone else not brought it
to our attention by posting of their experience.

We all, as ferret owners and guardians, go to great lengths to
ferretproof our homes, so that our fuzzy babies can enjoy themselves,
hopefully, risk free while they are out and about, exploring every
nook and cranny, climbing every "mountain", and discovering every
area of new, uncharted territory.

And then, we lovingly tuck them in at night. Snuggled comfortably into
their hammocks and hanging sleepsacks. Not realizing, that this could
perhaps be the most dangerous of all places.

People, please, please, please, take a close look at what you use to
hang those hammies with.

I cannot even begin to convey the heartbreak, and guilt, one feels,
when you get up in the morning, and arrive at their cage, only to see
your precious little baby hanging there, lifeless, with her head stuck
in the shower curtain hammie hanger that came with that cute bedding
set you just purchased.

This is probably one of the most overlooked areas of ferret proofing
that we are all guilty of.

Go ahead and flame me if you must. But please, find an alternative to
those shower curtain hangers. If this post removes that risk from even
one cage, than I welcome the flames.

I only use mini carabiner rings for all my bedding now. In fact, I
make all my own bedding now. And, by adding extra rings, I can quickly
and easily adjust the height that the bedding hangs to make it easier
for my elderly, or post surgical babies to climb in and out of.

I have a supplier who sells them at $.88 each. And I still have about
150 on hand. If anyone would be interested in purchasing some for your
own use, I will gladly sell them at my cost, plus shipping to your
home. I can also get a discount down to $.58 each by ordering 1,000
if anyone wants that many. lol Just email me off list.

I wont be making any money off these, I am just hoping to prevent
another tragedy.

Now, go hug your fuzzies!

Dooks!
Cheryl