From:
Denise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:28:12 CDT
My heart goes out to Kym at the moment with the Lost of Dream Catcher.
Kym, I really appreciate you sharing this story with all.  It is so sad
that you have losted a loved ferret to a fire, and the precious little
kitten.

We also to had a fire at our home three years ago.  The fire had started
at our neighbors, being that the house was next to ours, and the time was
2:30 in the morning.  We were so busy trying to rescue our neighbors,
their house covered in flames, us in our niteclothes, trying to break
windows and pull out people.  We seemed to forget about our own home.
As the firetrucks arrived, we pull out the last person.  Our hands all
burned, clothes burned, but we were all alive.  Then through all the
yelling we over heard a fireman "the house next store is now on fire."
Nothing like turning around to see to find your house burning up also.  We
rushed for our doors, and weren't allowed in.  Everyone knows we have
ferrets, I mean SEVERAL FERRETS.  There was no crying or pleading with the
fireman, when he weighs over 200 lbs.  We then ran to the neighbors back
yard jumped the fence, and came through the back of our home.  In my
entire life I have never open cages as quick as we did.  We had grab a
pillowcase that was laying on the kitchen table and stuffed them one by
one in.  Thank goodness I haven't put away the wash earlier.  Stuffed
inside one pillowcase were 15 ferrets, which neither really care for one
another stood still.  We probably scared them to death by acting so
quickly.  We had many times talked of what to do if a fire happen in our
home.  But never thought it could happen.  Yet from another home.  God had
spared our neighbors lives, our family lives, and with quick thinking we
were lucky to have saved our ferrets .

Kym is right, Think about, "What would you do if a fire broke out?" Cages
being so high, yes the smoke will reach quicker.  And with cages where the
doors open easily are secured with bands to keep ferrets in.  How quick
and how much time for you to get them out?

Yes Kym, Thank You, maybe reader will listen and it can save a ferret or
pets life.  We were lucky to have saved all our little ones then.  And
now, we are fire and ferret proofed.  But it was a hard way to find out
by almost losing them.

My prayers are with Dream Catcher who losted it's precious life, and the
sweet little kitten.  The rainbow bridge will see two more sweet faces
tonite...

Our prayers are also sent to all the fuzzies that have enter the rainbow
bridge and the sick little ones.

Love,The Ferret Mama at "The Ferret Mama's Haven of Lousiana"