Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 15:59:24 EDT
Hello FML,

Sadly, I'll have to be counted among those that don't think they will be
owned by ferrets in the future.

Seven years ago, I was a first time ferret owner, and came to the FML to
become as educated as I could.  I learned all about what to feed them, how
to keep them, what toys to get them, and how to ferret-proof.  I met some
local friends through the FML that helped me to nurse my ferrets back to
health when we were stricken with ECE.  I also learned about "The Big
Four": Adrenal Disease, Insulinoma, Lymphoma and Cardiomyopathy.

Back then, my ferrets were all kits, except for the one I got second-hand
from my younger sister, who didn't have time for 2-year-old Gidget
anymore.  Then I took Molly home from a pet store, then 3 more (Teddy,
Fozzie and Angel) from the Garden State Pet Expo (that's when the ECE came
into play).  Then I rescued Kelsey from a pet store.  She was 7 months
old and had been returned because she was a biter.  She was so afraid to
be held.  She had been a gift for a young child, and had obviously been
harmed by his hands, hence the biting.  I happily reformed her.  My first
group wasn't very eager to accept Kelsey though, so I took home BJ, one
of my friend's kits from her first litter, as a playmate for her.

Only a year later, I lost Kelsey suddenly to Juvenile Lymphosarcoma.  It
tore my heart out.  My time with her was way too short, but I was glad
that she knew love and a happy home in her brief life.

Things were great for several years.  Everybody was healthy and happy.
Then Gidget suddenly showed signs of adrenal in the summer of 2000  She
was already seven years old.  We decided to forego surgery.  About 9
months later.  She stopped eating and was grinding her teeth non-stop.
After a month and a half of nursing by my wonderful vet, we decided to
help her cross to the bridge and end her suffering.  Another piece of my
heart was lost on 3-25-02.

BJ developed IBD, had surgery, round the clock nursing care and daily
sub-Q fluids.

Teddy developed a heart murmur and was placed on Enacard.  Also started
Lupron shots for Adrenal.  In October, Teddy became severely anemic and
was diagnosed with kidney failure.  Now he was getting sub-Q fluids, too.
Then he developed stomach ulcers.  His final night with me, he must have
suffered a clot to the brain from the kidney disease.  My lovable little
Teddy turned into a rabid-like, wild animal before my eyes.  He even bit
me as I reached out to help him.  I couldn't go near him without Ferretone
to distract him.  The next morning he lost the use of his hind legs and
became incontinent.  I had to change his towels every hour.  The worst
part of all was that he didn't even know me.  He was hyper-reactive to
noise and movement.  It was difficult to provide him with nursing care
because he kept biting me.  We made the decision to end his suffering on
10-2-02.  He was only 5.5 years old.Two months later, BJ's IBD finally
wore out his little body and he began having hemorrhagic bowel movements,
and not in the litter box.  His pink nose, gums and pads, were all
ghost-white.  We tried shots of Vit.  K and even a blood transfusion.
He bled it all out.  He was tired of fighting, and tired of all the
injections.  I decided that I could do no more.  The only help he wanted
at that point was peace.  He was sent to the Bridge on 12-20-01.  He was
only 4.5 years old.  Now Molly has IBD and Insulinoma.  Fozzie has
Adrenal, IBD and a possible mass growing near his heart.  Angel has
Adrenal, but is otherwise fine.  They are all 6 years old.

I am a nervous wreck.  I worry constantly.  Like Nancy, who posted
yesterday, I watch closely every day for the ticking time bomb to
detonate.  I look at the three that I have left, knowing that our time is
growing shorter.  I wonder who will be first?  Who will be last?  What
will I do when I have only one?  What will I do when I have none?  Even
now, I sit here sobbing, with tear drops soaking my keyboard.  I suffer
emotionally right along with them.  My heart has been ripped out four
times and I know I'll have to endure it three more times.  Their deaths
are never easy.  They always seem to suffer at the end.

I've read about so many other ferrets coming down with these diseases much
earlier on in their lives.  I feel fortunate that I've had as much time as
I have.  I just don't think I could take the risk of losing ferrets at 3
or 4, or sooner.  It just hurts too much.  There are other animals that I
can give my love to for 12 years or more, that don't have the
predispositions to so many diseases.

I love and have loved my ferrets with all of my heart.  That is why there
is so little of it left.  The deathwatch and the grief are just too much
for me to bear.  I sincerely doubt that I will be owned by more ferrets
when my final three have crossed to the bridge.

Sadly,

Dodie in NJ