From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 21:09:47 -0400
I have been helping with placing homeless or unwanted ferrets for a bit
now, but not everyday or all the time, just when someone contacts me for
help.  But, this current experience with Luke has given me an even greater
appreciation for all shelter operators, not just those that have touched
my life or I've had the pleasure of becoming friends with.

So far, the rescue of Luke has cost me $128 out of pocket, plus pending vet
charges on Wednesday (let's just say another $50).  Granted that shelters
receive discounted vet rates, just for the sake of arguement, let's say 1/3
off.  That could still average out to $100+ for each ferret coming into
their shelter, less for the ones that are perfectly healthy, more for those
needing surgery.  Just think how quickly those bills could add up and yet
they charge $60-80 for adoption fees, but they may have $100, $200 or more
invested in that ferret.

What is my challenge you ask???  Maybe not everyone can take in homeless
ferrets when needed and spend $100-200 on them, I can't do it all the time,
but that is what has been required for Luke.  I am a single mom raising
a 9 year old daughter, making a car payment, preparing to pay for my own
ferret's surgery.  With that said, I challenge each person reading this
post to make a donation of $10 to the shelter of their choice.  I don't
think we realize how much we take for granted everyday.  The simple fact
that most of us can afford to rush our fuzzy to the vet whenever he or
she is sick, maybe not always afford, but we use our charge card or make
payments.

I would like to see each and every ferret lover reading this post, send $1
to whatever shelter they like.  Need some direction there??  I will throw
in my personal plug for Kista in New Jersey or the PA Ferret Rescue.  And
just to put my money where my mouth is, I will send each of these shelters
a donation myself.

If you can afford to have a computer at home, hook-up to the internet or
even if you are at your job reading this post, I know you can squeeze $10
(or more) out of your budget for the people who go so much further than any
of us who are simply owned by ferrets, myself included.  Many shelters sell
items on auctions and use paypal, so you can even make this small donation
via the ease of your computer.

So there is my challenge, or maybe a dare!!  Need help with where to send
the money, email me and I will give you addresses of shelters in your area.

Just $10, do it in memory of a beloved ferret you've lost who is waiting
at the bridge or a baby you have now that spent part of his life in the
terrible conditions that Luke has.  Do it as a thank you to the shelter
operator who rescued the baby you now share your life with.  If not for
their caring, god knows where that furball might have ended up.  Trust me,
there are so many Lukes and worse out there being cared for by these
shelters, they deserve more than just a nod of the head or note of 'good
job'.

Hugs to all... so come on, get out the checkbook or signup with paypal -
we need to show charity a little more than just at Xmas.... Do it, I dare
you......

Sign me, getting out my checkbook....

Jen and Gang