From:
"Jennifer D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:56:39 -0500
>>I am reading with interest the articles being posted on cat food,
>>especially from Iams.

>Why feed your fuzzies on Cat food which is only just suitable for cats and
>lacks the necessary vitamins and minerals for ferrets.
>
>We at Companions Choice pride ourselves on the quality of our Ferret Food
>which is enjoyed more and more by Ferrets on this side of the pond.
>
>We do have Ferret owners complaining that their cats are stealing the
>Companions Choice Ferret Food and I have to say that it will do them no
>harm, in fact it will do them a lot of good but there are still things
>missing in Ferret Food for cats and there are far more things missing for
>Ferrets in Cat food.
>
>You don't eat cat food so why give it to your fuzzies.

Well, *that* was a thinly disguised advertisement!

[Moderator's note: Yes, it was.  One is allowed -- will be stricter should
further similar posts occur.  BIG]

The reason we feed Nutro Max Kitten to our crew involves quality of
ingredients and price.  I have yet to find a decent ferret food, barring
Totally Ferret and EIO Ultimate, both of which cost enough that buying
them in the quantities we go through would be very difficult.  Every other
ferret food I've ever looked at has had extremely questionable ingredients,
such as the ever-popular ground corn, beet pulp, animal fat, animal
byproducts, and animal digest.  Basically, if you don't tell me which type
of animal supplied the protein, I'm going to assume it's rendered pets and
lab animals.  And I don't feed my pets other people's sick pets just
because they've been boiled down.

I haven't had the opportunity to investigate your food, as it's not
available in my area, or even on my continent.  If you'd like to send me a
copy of your label, I'd be glad to let you know what I think of it.

I understand the arguments about ferret food as opposed to cat food, but
the fact is that being formulated just for ferrets doesn't make a food
good.  The vast majority of them aren't.

Jen and the Crazy Business