From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:58:46 -0700
Sharon

As you can see I'm a bit behind on reading my FML.  I saw your question as
to the origin of the work "Packrat".  Well I'm not sure if this is where it
actually originates from, but on the West Coast of Canada there is a type
of rat called a "Packrat".  The are named that because of their peculiar
habit of packing things around.  "Sound familiar".  Actually they are a
very large rat often reaching over a foot in length.

My dad often told me this story while I was growing up: My grandfather at
one time owned several thousand acres of ranch land in the Manning park
area of the Rocky Mountains.  Like all true ranchers he lived in a log
cabin and of course had the customary tool shed out back.  We would often
drive the 200 or so miles from the coast to spend weekends and holidays
with my grandparents.  My dad was forever complaining about how messy
grandpa's shed always was.  Dad, being ex-military and a very organized
person, of course can't stand this.  So one day out he goes to organize the
shed.  He put all the nuts in one can by size and all the bolts in another
can by size, and so on and so forth until every tool, part and whatever was
in its rightful place.  How proud he was.  He takes Grandpa out back to
show him what he'd accomplished.  Grandpa says "Hey that's great Ed" and
then kinda chuckles to himself.  Dad just gives him a puzzled look, not
really understanding why grandpa is chuckling.  Anyhow to make a long story
short, the next morning Dad goes out to the toolshed to get some sort of
tool and "Ye Gods what on earth has happened".  The tool shed is once more
as chaotic and messy as it always was.  There were even a few parts on top
of the rafters.  Now Dad thinks he's loosing his mind until along comes
Grandpa who gives him a big smile and says "Hmmm, looks like the packrats
had a busy night".

Do you think they might be related to Ferrets?

Barbara Gustafson (aka Boots)
Alberta Ferret Society