From:
Holly Massay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:01:45 +0000
I am looking for information re: how well ferrets respond to chemotherapy
and what can be done to help support them (their immune system) while
they are going through chemo.  Does anyone have information re: how to
boost their immune system?  Can anything be done to raise their white
cell count?

Here's a little history re: what my ferret Bear has been through over
the last month:

My ferret Bear (5 year old male) was diagnosed with multiple mylenoma 2
weeks ago.  It was diagnosed after a brief illness (lethergy, it was
originally mistaken for a bacterial infection, his original blood work
gave no indication of any problem).  1 1/2 weeks into his illness he
spontaneously broke his leg.  We were able to get him into an orthopedic
surgeon who was able to repair his leg with apoxy, rods and pins.  During
the reconstruction a bone marrow biopsy was taken.  The results indicated
multiple mylenoma, but we have been unable to rule out lymphoma.

Bear is a very important member of our family and we made the decision
to try chemo.  He received his first treatment last week, he appeared
to handle it well and responded well to the prednizone.  He also takes
carafate and amoxicillan.  Unfortunately, last week one day after chemo
his red, white cell and platelet count fell...too soon for the chemo to
have this effect so we were concerned that the cancer had caused the dip.
Then yesteday his blood work revealed improvement with red blood cells
and platelets, but his white cell count was too low to do the chemo.

The oncologist didn't have any recommendations re: supportive care, but I
wanted to follow-up on the list to see if any of the vets or members have
evperience with chemo, etc.

Any information re: multiple mylenoma and/or chemo in ferrets would be
much appreciated.

Thank you,
Holly (Bear & Hannah)