From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 20:04:37 -0500
>From:    Tina Femea <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and AIDS?
>... mother is HIV+.  ... What if she _does_ manage to bite Mom?

Tina,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  You have my best wishes for her
health.

I am willing to bet a fortune that ferrets are not susceptible to HIV (human
immunodeficiency virus).  It is extremely specific.  I believe the "monkey
aids" you are thinking of is actually SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus).
As far as I know, only humans are affected by HIV.  The rumors about it
coming from African monkeys are only rumors.

A veterinarian may be able to cite specific studies showing whether HIV is
communicable to ferrets, but I'm only a biochemist.  I would worry more
about what your ferrets can give your immune compromised mother either
through a bite wound or by kisses (mine love to give kisses on the mouth).

Bests,
Catherine