From:
meesh meesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:12:07 -0700
Hi all,
Long time no talk.  Such is the life a *fourth* year vet student
<GRIN>...it's almost over..only 1/3 done...wooo :).  Unfortunately I'm
writing cause Mighty Mouse's insulinoma has returned (granted it's been
over a year and half since the tumors were removed though she wasn't
cliical when we found them).  Only 3 months ago her BG was normal, now
it's 62.  At 6.5 year of age, one kidney and some GI trouble I'm still
working on, and a recent diagnosis of heart troubles (not horrendous but
a little aortic and mitral insufficiency - no DCM), surgery is risky (not
out of the question, but risky).  I started her eating a/d yesterday and
today she is going nuts for the Heinz Turkey and Turkey broth baby food I
bought (zero carbs - Gerber's had a couple of carbs so I bought both to
see what she'd eat).  So far, my only problem is that she will only eat
it off the tip of a syringe or off my finger.  She won't eat it out of a
plate yet.

I'm writing 'cause I'm going to finally try Bob's Chicken Gravy and I read
all the archives and linked sites and I wondered if there was anyone in
Columbus, Ohio, who knows of a meat market or deli where they will cut up
(even grind) the chicken (or Turkey for her) up for you?  And/or, if anyone
in Columbus has found a good price on an electric meat grinder (my joints
hurt too much in the summer to try the old fashioned kind)?

I'm also wondering what ratio of ingredients I need to use if I am getting
a Turkey.  Turkey's are usually much bigger than chickens, no?  (I haven't
eaten meat in over 20 years and the only turkeys I've seen are the kind
you see at thanksgiving and those are usually huge.  Maybe small turkey's
exist..lol

The reason for the turkey (vs. chicken) is that Mighty Mouse has had some
GI problems for about six months now and if I don't do surgery and get
biopsies, I'm going to try empirically treating her for food allergies (in
case it's IBD or EG).  ie: have to try a new/novel protein source and not
one her body has seen before.  (so far, I've ruled out nearly everything
else).

I have her eating a (very) little Pro Plan Turkey and Barley but I'm a
little concerned about her during the day when I'm not here to feed her.
She used to chow down for 10 minutes on her old food every 4-5 hours and
now she only nibbles on a few pieces of this stuff.  What do people who
have their ferrets on chicken gravy or baby food do during the day when
they/you aren't home?  Even if I left the baby food/gravy in the cage
with her, it would dry and crust over and I can't imagine it being very
appetizing like that.

I wish I had time to go into more details.  I may on the FHL but her
history alone would probably go over the posting line limit lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and I am going to try my darndest to get to the
ferret meeting here in Col. in August (just this seven day a week thing
makes it kinda hard..have to see what rotation I'm in).  I'm also going
to make sure I get to the Ferret Symposium.  It *is* school related so
I'm hoping they will let me take a few days off.

Hugs and ferret kisses,

Michaela Maurice
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ohio State University