From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:25:33 -0500
Ferrets at Heart hasn't been on eBay. We haven't been blogging on our
website or updating our store. Our webstore was even down for a time.
No FML updates have been issued since... I can't remember. Late
December?

The last thing you all knew, we thanked our santas for their wonderful
contributions. We let everyone know that we raised enough money at our
local sidewalk fundraiser that we were able to cover all necessary vet
concerns. Everything was looking up. We even had some folks wanting to
adopt Templeton. Here's a list of what happened next.

1. No one ever followed through on adopting Templeton.

2. Seamstress (Mom) had family problems that shut down sewing, selling,
and shipping of all bedding items for January. I mean "serious"
problems, not just inconveniences.

3. My insurance made me switch from a doctor 5 mi. away to one 30 mi.
away. He abruptly dropped three of my meds and gave me four new ones.
You can imagine how the next ten days were for me -- side-effect h*ll.
One of the medications for fibromyalgia, Cymbalta, was causing me to be
in a mental fog. We didn't realize which med was doing it, because he
had put me on so many at once. I had no motivation, no concentration,
no anything. Now, I have no Cymbalta! Yeah! I feel like me again! Let
me add "mostly" to that. I am also on Topamax to prevent migraines.
Topamax reduces the activity in the areas of the brain where migraines
occur. Unfortunately, these can include the areas of the brain that
control some muscles of the face and hands, speech and language
(spelling and typing for me), and just about anything else. Did I
mention I am not happy about this med either? Well, at least I'm
sleeping better.

4. More family problems that I won't list, but there is stress, and
then, there is STRESS!

5. I am told by friends that everyone usually has it happen to them.
You "think" all the ferrets are put away, and there is an accident. I
haven't written about it, because it has hurt too much inside. I will
only write briefly of it now. Our landlord was having new windows put
in. The cages were moved and covered with blankets. We "believe" it
was a blanket catching in a door that allowed Rhys to escape. I was
scooting a 6 ft. cat tree/tower, which takes two men to actually lift,
across the floor. The edge of the base furthest from me was slightly
tilted up as I shoved. Rhys... I heard raspy breathing. We got him to
the vet ASAP. There was no hollow place underneath to keep him from
the weight as the thing settled on him. He aspirated his own saliva. He
was soaked in it past his front legs too. He pooped himself. He was in
shock. How Rhys made it with just a few cracked ribs and allot of
bruising is a miracle. He was eating and drinking 30 mins. after the
accident. His stool stayed normal with no blood, and I promise I didn't
exaggerate the weight of the cat tree/tower. It didn't matter that he
was alright, because accident or not, it was still my responsibility,
my shame and blame. I don't believe that it wouldn't have happened to
someone else; I simply hurt inside, because it happened to me and my
Rhys.

6. Codo, our partially-paralyzed (He was stepped-on before he was
surrendered) guy with adrenal must now be removed from the large
communal cage. We try to keep the permanent residents in larger groups,
but Codo can no longer get from the hammocks to the litter "in time",
making liberal messes in the hammocks, around the food, and elsewhere,
causing the other ferrets to prefer living in the top of the cage (The
cage is 5 ft. tall). Codo now has a small cage with a bed on the floor,
which he hasn't managed to dirty... yet. Codo still has playtime with
his friends 12 hours every day. I've watched his muscle-tone and weight
drop these last months, so I know what is coming. I know we've done our
best for him, and that is the only comfort there is other than the love
of a beautiful little ferret. He'll probably be our first loss, since
we "officially" became a rescue.

It has been a difficult couple of months, and we need to get back in
the game. I am working on the website, even if you won't notice changes
on the public areas for another week or two. I have got to update the
store with more inventory, list Mandie as adoptable, put up an adoption
application,...

We need some advice.

1. What is the Ferrets at Heart ferret rescue website missing that it
"should" have? (I'm working on the adoption application and list of
how people can help)

2. What is the best way to get the word out that a rescue has ferrets
for adoption? I am afraid to list on CraigsList, because I'd get people
that would think ferrets make "cool" pets and wouldn't be serious.

3. I would like to place donation jars at local businesses. Anyone
know where to buy or how to make containers that someone can't remove
money from without a key or something?

Now, that's enough for this incredibly long post. Thanks for your
patience. We've been through allot; I wish I could tell you everything,
so that you would understand. Just know that Ferrets at Heart is still
here. We are still trying to be a rescue. We may be small, but it is a
small town in a small county, and everyone has to start somewhere.

With respect,
Lori of Ferrets at Heart
Huron, Ohio
http://ferretsatheart.com/

...and Rhys, Ayla, Codo, Mandie, Winter,
Holly, Charlie, and Templeton