From:
Kim Vanderlaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:12:00 -0500
>From:    Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Could ferrets get distemper from cats as well as dogs or from wild
>animals such as squirrels?

Hi Inge,

Distemper comes in two forms - canine and feline.  I know that ferrets
can contract the canine variety, but I'm not sure about the feline
(although in the back of my mind, it seems they can get both).

Each variety of distemper has its own selection of species that it
affects.  Canine distemper affects all members of the dog family
(including foxes and coyotes).  Feline distemper affects all members
of the cat family.  Both can affect some species, such as raccoons
and if I remember correctly, skunks.

Both forms of distemper are airborne.  This means that your ferret
can indeed get distemper from wild animals as well as domestics, IF
it is susceptible (ie.  never been vaccinated and/or not current on
vaccinations).  A scenario for this: An infected raccoon walks around an
air conditioning unit and sniffs at the vents or does the same at an open
(screened) window.  The virus gets into the house through either the A/C
unit or the window and circulates with the rest of the household air.
The susceptible ferret breathes in the virus along with the safe air and
becomes ill.

This is why it is important to make sure your ferrets are fully
vaccinated.

Rodents, such as squirrels, chipmunks, etc. do not contract either form
of distemper and therefore, cannot pass it to ferrets.

Kim
Fuzzy Follies Ferret Rescue
and
wildlife rehabber for over 10 years