From:
Karen Poehlein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2014 18:26:14 -0500
I am trying to find out if ferrets are susceptible to mononucleosis.
John was diagnosed with mono this week and we want to make sure our
ferrets are safe as we both handle and care for them. I've been reading
up on mono but I can't find anything indicating animals can get sick
from the Epstein-Barr Virus that is responsible for causing mono.

We don't have a clue where John could have picked it up as mono is
normally spread through direct contact with mucus from the throat or
nose, through saliva, and it can also be spread through tears which
I have never heard of. It is also spread by drinking or eating after
someone infected, and it can also be spread by using an infected
person's toothbrush.

I just want to find out if anyone has ever heard of a case of mono
being passed from human to a ferret.

Thanx in advance guys, trying to keep our fuzzies safe.

                 /\_/\
                (>"<)