From:
millie sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:00:25 -0600
Reading several emails about the difference in Petco and PEtsmart in
shopping at one and not the other over the selling of ferrets:

THe difference is none.  Petsmart is assuring me along with not having
ferrets less than 3 months old and none from Marshal Farms, Petco works
with the shelters and has uidelines they follow which is as close as you
can get and still sell ferrets.  THese are good feastures on both stores.
THE DIFFERENCE IS the shelters are already filled with homeless ferrets.
IF we have TWO large chains selling ferrets, how many more is that going
to produce for our shelters to take in - most of those bought at stores
are impulse buyers - those who walk in and say OH ISN'T THAT CUTE I WANT
ONE vs someone who seeks out ferrets after studying them and wanting to
get one from a shelter.  Not only will there be more of the throw away
ferrets, there will be less people seeking out shelters because, as
everyone knows, you see one in the store you fall for, that is the one
you are going to get vs waiting to see what is at a shelter, and thus:
More homeless ferrets, less adoptors, more production of ferrets, and
the story goes on.

One chain store is enough to handle the demand and keep it in reason.  If
Petsmart had been the one selling them and Petco started into it, I would
take the same position NO MORE STORES SELLING FERRETS.  We can't control
the little ma & pa pet stores or the backyard breeders who sell them at
horse auctions and flea markets (at least in Texas) - they don't touch
the large amountof to-be ferret owners.  Yes, I feel there should be a
market to supply ferrets but we already have an over supply - look at how
many rescues are done on horders and how many times a shelter closes its
doors from overload or asks for relief becaues of #'s.  Doesn't it make
sense to try and stop doubling that load?

Millie and her Exploding Drinking it up Cleaningcrew
Ferret Lovers Club of Texas