From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:48:08 +0000
Hi all

Thanks so much to the people who e-mailed me and a huge thanks to Hope.
This is the first time I have met hope.

First off, Lector is still with us.  Although not well he is improving
daily.  My fear is that his improvements are the result of the huge
steroid dose he received and that they may be short lived.

When I went to let Lector out on Sunday I found him laying on his side
and heavily soiled with thick treacle like faeces.  I lifted him out of
his bed and found him unable to move his back legs.  I managed to get him
to drink and then cleaned him down.  I curled him up in bed with me and
woke him every hour through the night to check he could be roused and
give him water.  I also manged to get him to eat a tiny amount of duck
soup every two hours.  By the morning he was showing signs of wanting to
stay with us but was still ill and weak.

We were the first into the vets surgery the following morning and he was
given a large dose of antibiotics and steroids.  The vet is unsure of the
cause so wants to review him in a few days.

Some of the posts I received mentioned ulceration as a possible cause.
I too was concerned until I realised his stool was a green/black not a
blood black colour.

He ate without assistance this morning for the first time but I still
have duck soup ready in case he doesn't eat enough.

The other weasels are doing a great job at keeping him warm although
Brandy seems unaware of quite how heavy he is so may have to be moved as
Lector cannot escape from under Brandy if he tries to 'keep Lector warm'.

I shall keep you posted.

Thanks again

Wayne.