From:
Rita Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:19:36 EST
I really am not sure if I want to get in to this one but I almost cant
stop myself

>From:    mo lab <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I have four ferrets, two boys and two girls... all four are great, they
>are about 3months old and i love them all to death, my question is,
>should i try breed them?  i mean i could put one boy with one girl and
>the other boy with the other girl?  would my babies change at all?  I
>know a few breeders of cats/dogs/rats and they all think it would be a
>great experience... Ferrets are sought after in my area and I think
>everyone who has met my guys has wanted one so I doubt finding them
>homes would be a drama... plus I would love to include some more into
>my group....

You didn't say how much experience you have with ferrets.  I hope your
four 3 month old ferrets are not your first experience to the world of
ferrets.  If so please DON'T!  (and assuming the ferrets you have are
capable of breeding since ferrets from pet stores are spayed and
neutered already)  I have read enough to know breeding ferrets is NOT
like breeding cats and dogs.

>I have also considered starting a rescue aswell for unwanted ferrets to
>rehome them aswell...

Far better for you to volunteer at a shelter and see what it is like for
them before you make this life changing decision.  The people who run and
operate these shelters are special and unique people.  They deal with
financial woes, paper work, ignorance and oh!  the ferrets that have been
dumped by society, many with medical and behavioral issues and I am sure
I didn't even come close to touching on all they do.

If you have had ferrets for a long time or you already volunteer for a
shelter (for a length of time) then I apologize but it didn't sound like
you have done either.

My husband once remarked to me that maybe we should breed ferrets when we
retire and I told him no way on this earth.  It is more than just
throwing 2 sexually mature mustelids together and something I am not
willing to delve into.  We purchased a ferret from a breeder in August
and were shown her operation.  And when my boy (we bought a male) was
7 months old we had him neutered and we were so glad because he was
becoming quite smelly and he wasn't much of a pet at that time.  I was
fascinated by my breeders facilities but smart enough to know it is a
complicated endeavor and one she has really devoted her life to (and it
shows)!

I hope this doesn't sound harsh but I just hope you think DEEP about
breeding your ferrets and starting a shelter.

Rita B.