From:
Bobbi McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 01:54:01 -0600
I'm not sure why I am compelled to put in my nickel's worth here but I am,
non-the-less.  Our shelter has been in existence in Kansas City for almost
7 years and the number of ferret foundlings we care for has increased each
year, first gently and then logrythmically.  Current census usually runs
between 30 and 40.  When we get close to 50 I figure we're full but we've
never turned any ferret away.  Our ability to find them homes has also
increased and we place over 80%, believing, as does Bob C., that no shelter
can match the love and care of a good home.  We are a no-kill shelter but
sometimes ferrets who are ill stay until they die.

We spend a lot of time building community support, and ferret education is
our primary mission.  (No, we don't teach the fuzzbutts to read, don't have
to as many of them already know how.)  Public education about ferrets serves
our second mission, ferret welfare.  Even our socially inept and/or ill
foundlings find homes eventually thanks to the kind people who call and
visit us.

On the other hand, I don't feel sorry for the ferrets that end up staying
with us several weeks or even months.  Sometimes they need medical care
over time and sometimes they just need consistant positive attention to
help them learn to prefer kisses over chunks of flesh.  About 3 years ago
we added a sunny room to the back of the house so that the shelter could
be moved upstairs from the basement.  As this room is open to the kitchen
all ferrets get attention everyday.

We have 4 permanent residents: Cyrus (a vasectomized male who has never
failed to take a female out of heat, in the Spring he saves lives on a
daily basis), Tucker (who was, as a kit, a birthday present to me), his
buddy, Rowdy (whose adoption fee was paid by a club member so that he could
stay forever and so Tucker wouldn't be lonely - like he's going to be
lonely here), and Big White (who was Rowdy's buddy originally and who was
returned to the shelter twice by young men who chose their girl friends
over him!!).  All 4 are healthy, happy, know the routine around here, get
away with murder, and have never shown signs of ECE despite multiple
exposures.

I do catch flack from people who think that I'm too conservative about
extreme veterinary measures for end stage ferrets, or who think that they
know better than I how to screen and do placements, e.g."don't let any of
them go until you know adsolutely that the adoptors are angelic and well
to do."  These same people have huge collections of ferrets whose extensive
care sometimes becomes an excuse not to live their own lives.  The
exception to this, in my opinion, is Troylynn Eckert of Ferret Family
Services.  The fact that her ferrets are her life seems right and healthy
for her and I admire her very much.  So, no flames intended, just a word
or two to the not so healthy or wise.

Bobbi McC. <+:-)