From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:58:35 -0500
Here is another easily customizable letter that you can send to your
Congressional reps and the USDA.  See http://www.ferretcongress.org for
addresses and contact info.  Remember that snail mail to Congress is held
up for testing, so email, fax or call too.

There have been 3 letters on the FML in the last two days about too
young kits in pet stores.  This is just the type of issue we are trying
to address, so PLEASE take a few minutes to write.

HUGE thank you's to those who have written and provided other sample
letters. May your ferrets bless you with sweet kisses and good
litterbox habits! :-)
----
[1st paragraph for letter to send your senators and representative:
I am writing to ask you to contact the USDA about the urgent need to
provide better protection for the domestic ferret under the Animal
Welfare Act.  A petition for rulemaking on this issue has recently
been submitted to the USDA.]

[Alternate 1st paragraph for letter to USDA: I am writing to support
the petition for rulemaking to address the issue of protection for
ferrets under the Animal Welfare Act.]

I have been a ferret owner for X years, and currently own Y ferrets.
I am a member of FFF club and have volunteered for/operated a ferret
shelter for Z years.  I am concerned about what I have seen happening to
ferret kits in the pet stores, and the resulting burden on ferret owners
and shelter operators.

Ferrets are an increasingly popular pet, but their special needs are
often ignored by many breeders and distributors who provide ferret kits
to the retail pet stores.  Kits are typically removed from their mothers
as early as 4-5 weeks old, sexually altered, and shipped to pet stores
as young as 5 1/2 to 6 weeks old.  At this time, they have not been
socialized by their mothers, learned how to use litter boxes and do not
have their adult teeth.

As a result, kits in pet stores are young and cute, but unable to thrive.
Their surgical incisions are not always healed, they are unable to eat
solid food, suffer from prolapsed rectums, diarrhea, and emaciation as
well as behavioral problems.

[You can add any personal experience with too young kits you have had or
witnessed.  Enclose adorable pictures of your ferrets.]

Ferrets are delightful, loving pets.  They deserve a good start in life
and proper care throughout in return for all the joy they bring to their
owners.

Sincerely
----
Linda Iroff