From:
Ed Greaves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:56:50 -0500
Hello all, I'm still relatively new to the list, and just wanted to
introduce myself to you fellow ferret lovers, and tell you a bit about my
experience with ferrets (If it's not too presumptious to do so *grin*)

Back in the fall of 1996 I was surprised on my birthday (well, a few days
late, but it's all the same) with a young, beatiful sable kit.  It was a
gift from my then SO, and she (the ferret, though my SO as well) was
incredibly cute.  She was a few months old, we were not exactly sure just
how old at the time 3-4 months.  My mother begrudgingly allowed the pet into
the house.  My mother is none too fond of pets, but she believes strongly
that animals should always be treated well, insisting that I keep the animal
inside, and in my room, since the basement as I had volunteered was a bit
chilly and drafty at times.  Well, through the course of my owning Kobi
(later nicked named Newton after her fondness of experimenting with gravity)
I grew very fond and attached of her, and ferrets in general.  I wish I had
found this list back then, as I would have been more prepared, and hgad all
of you as great resources to borrow ideas from.  For the course of that
year, things as far as Kobi was concerned were great.  She was a sweet
heart, gentle as could be, quickly progressing out of her nipping stage.
She was so well adjusted I was not afraid of her interacting with my horde
of young nieces and nephews (ages 0-4 at that time).

Well, those astute readers will have noticed by now, my constant use of the
past tense and might be wondering what happened that she is no longer with
me.  Have no fear, she has not passed on.  What happened, was a carreer
change which necessitated my going back to college full time.  Pets were not
allowed in the dorms, so I had the choice of either finding her a new home,
or sneaking her in to school.  What turned out to be a stroke of luck, my
sister had a co-worker that would be willing to hold onto the ferret, and
what's more, I would even be able to take her back during the summer breaks!
I thought how fantastic.  BUT, I also was a bit cautious.  The catch was,
the animal would be staying at my local home town high school, as a "class
pet" of the honors biology class.  Well, I was apprehensive of this (as you
might imagine) and wasn't too sure about the idea.  However, I learned that
the teacher had had ferrets as pets on her own before, so was very familiar
with them, and even knew several vets on her own, where she could take the
animal in case of emergencies.  I was re-assured that the animal would be
taken care of and watched over by her, to be sure of its safety.  In the
end, I agreed, and so the young adults of my home town were slowly being
introduced to this wonderful pet.

The students loved her.  They re-named her to Feivel (I do not know why.)
and she was instantly a favorite in the school.  As class projects they
built large tunnel systems for her to play in, and they often let her romp
around the rather large class-room to play.  I can't hope but believe her
gentle nature has helped win the hearts of the now three years of students
that she has lived with, and I hope that she has introduced many to the joys
of ferrets.

Last year, due to my grandmother's failing metal state, my mother asked me
not to bring the ferret back...as my grandmother thought the she was a rat.
I know and you know ferrets aren't rats, but there was no way to explain
that to an 80+ year old woman who's mental state was drastically failing.
(Not sure if it is Alzheimers or not) I had no choice but to agree.  Though
I loved my pet, there was little I could do.  This spring I am done with
college.(yeah) and will be moving back home for at least a while.  I do hope
to soon be back among the ferret owning population, and will begin saving up
money for cage(s) toys, and of course ferrets.  I also intend to visit my
old high-school and present the teacher with a print out of the ferret FAQ,
in hopes that some of that info might help them take even better care of
her.  (I know we had both been using the scoopable type of kitty litter,
because it had been reccommended by a pet store owner and a book...now that
I know, I will inform them as soon as I am home.)

I don't have the heart to ask for the ferret back after all this time...I
would feel wrong doing so, though I will offer them the chance to give it
back if she is a bit too old to care for, though I'm sure she's got some
years left in her.

Well, this is a bit long so I better end it here.

Hello to all of you out there, and good health to you and your fuzzies.

Ed Greaves