From:
Jim Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 10:29:50 -0400
Hello to all my friends, and you people, too!

We've discovered a treat our business just can't resist.  Peanut butter!
(Creamy only, of course!) They all like nothing as well as as well as peanut
butter on the finger.  When they get their nails clipped, a dab of peanut
butter on a pinky-tip keeps them quietly preoccupied as long as there's the
slightest taste remaining.  They look like sea otters holding onto your
pinky with their hands and licking away.  Need to get a ferret's complete
attention and cooperation?  Peanut butter!  Need that 'special treat' to
reward a 'special act'?  Peanut butter!  When they get a Really Large bite,
they grin *really* big until they lick it all off.  Spreading a dab on the
back of one of their necks will start everyone licking on the
peanut-buttered one.  Even Tyler likes this nutty treat!  I wonder if all
ferrets feel the same way?

For a daily reminder of how much we love them, we sometimes whip up a
generous dab of peanut butter mixed with a taste of honey, some softened
kibble (to remind them it's not for playing in :-)), and *lots* of water.
This is guaranteed to wake up even the sleepiest ferret, and seeing them all
crowded around the bowl lapping away happily is a treat to us, as well.

Little Bonnie is so cute!  She'll drink 'til her little tummy bulges so
you'd think she'd pop!  This stuff is like "Ferret Cocaine".

Question:  What are the ramifications of this treat/treatment?  I believe
peanut butter has lots of protein (vegetable, I know) and fat, so I don't
think it can't hurt them, but then, I thought Peeper would recover, too, so
what do I know?

Okay, I'll stop now before I get carried away again.  Thanks to the FML, all
of you people who visit here, and most of all to BIG, I feel less like a
pet-pariah and more like part of a huge ferret family.

Happy ferreting!

Jimbo...