From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:18:40 -0400
You wrote:
>After finding out that our new baby Paige was deaf I contacted path
>valley and it went...
>
>In so many words I am just some money hungry consumer who bought
>a ferret and felt I could rip off the company by drumming up some
>ficticious problems that don't exist in ferrets, just to try to
>regain the money

Each farm is worse in its own way and each better in its own way than
other farms.  Some sound worse in the things that ultimately matter
most than either of the two you mentioned: PV and MF.

You have mentioned one of the ways that PV is worse than Marshalls --
going both from your experience and past reports from multiple people in
multiple lists.  (See the FML Archives and other general-topic ferret
lists' archives.)

Farms are worse than careful home breeders -- those careful home breeders
being those who keep very complete records of their genetic lines (health
and longevity), cull lines with problems through sterilization, and
otherwise follow practises more geared toward the ferrets' own well being
than for appearance -- but farms are better than "backyard breeders"
which are the ferret equivalent of "puppy mills": operations with no
concern about inbreeding, health needs, handling, etc.

I can tell you that they did honor their warrantee over 10 years ago when
we had a ferret from there die of JL and presented them with copies of
the vet reports on vet letterhead.  Back then the original owners had
the company.

More recently, still years ago but after there were new owners invested
in PV, we were treated similarly to the way you were when an infectious
disease came here from two PVs.  In that case none died directly though
some were seriously compromised and life spans shortened, but there was
no "I am so sorry but glad the ferrets are alive; let us send you a gift
packet or a partial refund." or other logical, proven-effective, and
customer friendly approach provided to us.

It's sad, not only from the viewpoint of the ferrets and the purchasers,
but also because a company is simply not following successful business
practises when it insults customers.  I hope that they shape up in this
regard -- for whatever reason -- because it would help all, including
them, and it certainly is within their ability to tackle this.  From your
letter I have the feeling that if they had simply sympathized and sent
you some food or other supplies and some tips you would have felt much
better about it all and would never have sent that post.

One thing that I LIKE about a place giving any type of supplies when
there is a medical problem is that it makes the breeders more aware of
what may be going wrong.  That means that the breeder begins being more
careful in relation to health effects of its practises which can result
in healthier ferrets -- the ultimate goal.

We have a family tradition of one PV at a time in our family who is gray
with white socks and we adore those since they have consistently been
strong, assertive and smart but the reports of such behavior by PV do
scare us, even more since this is report while our current gray one is
older and ill.  It would have been good if they had shaped up, but your
letter really does worry us.  So many of our ferrets in recent years have
been rescues who have a lot to cope with, so having some who aren't is a
relief, and having smart ferrets who are athletic is always a joy for us.

Still, if a place can't be relied upon then it brings all sorts of
worries to mind and that does scare us.  If I said that your letter has
not had an influence upon us, especially since it would have been so easy
for different behavior to be used and especially since it so echoes our
bad experience, I'd be lying.

I hope that someone from PV replies to the FML, apologizes for what you
encountered, clarifies the company stance, and offers some workable
compromise like some supplies if you provide a vet letter on letterhead
stating that the ferret is deaf.  That would have a positive effect on
us, and I am sure would for others as well.

Here is a site with info about deafness which should help you and your
ferret cope better with life: http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/deaf.html