Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:03:12 -0500
the topic on breeding seems to have died down, but here are some ideas I
want to toss out.  I'm reading a book called "genetics and the behaviour
of domestic animals", edited by Temple Grandin.  it's an extremely cool
book, and while a bit technical, I could grasp most of the ideas (I don't
have a science background [computer science don't count]).

so it seems one of the problems with pet dogs vs working dogs is that
working dogs are selected for their ability to do something, and health
is a side effect (animals that work well tend to be healthy), where as
companion dogs don't need to work, so health is not associated with the
selected trait.

so I'm just wondering if ferrets can be selected for similar criterion.
ferrets that steal excessively as opposed to those who don't (are
thieving ferrets healthier?  somebody can breed up a business of super
thieves!).  there's also some research showing selecting for tameness
(less fear of humans) leads to genetics with health problems.  the book
points out the difference between breeding for varying degrees of fear,
and for varying degrees of social reinstatement (desire to return to
flock).  I'm still reading that part, but wonder selecting for the
latter might lead to healthier animals.

another more realistic idea, I think..  does anybody know how hard it
is to measure symmetry in animals?  it seems that wild animals are more
symmetric than domestic animals, and in some species, symmetry is a key
factor in choice of mates.  so perhaps symmetry is linked to fitness and
survival and maybe health.  if it is not hard to measure symmetry, I
wonder about the results of breeding ferrets that are the most symmetric.

just some thoughts.  and I highly recommend that book if you find this
kind of stuff fascinating.

Selina, Sprite, Dart, Clef, Popcorn and Sorin.