From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:06:03 EDT
I forgot something very important with smell.  That is what are you
feeding your ferrets?  Marshall Farms food is very good food.  For all I
know it may be one of the best kibbles for them out there.  But I surely
know one thing.  I cannot tolerate the smell.  It gets on everything.  I
do'nt just mean the smell of the kibble at all.  What I'm talking about
is that the ferrets seem to excrete a really bad smell when they eat it.
Its in their glands, in their fur, in their urine and in their poop.  And
its baaaaad.  If you think this may be part of the problem, you might
want to consider a switch to food that has just chicken and rice in it
with NO FISH.  If you decide to do this.... its veeeeeeeery important
that you do this gradually.  I mean just add a handfull of the new food
in there bowl with the MF food for a few days.  And after that up it just
a tiny bit for more days.  I take like ten days to get it to a 50-50
ratio and I dotn know if that's too fast or not.  But that would give you
an idea of how slow to do it.  Now, if your ferret is munching down the
new stuff and not eating around it or digging out the bowl, you might be
able to do it a bit faster.  Do know that it takes a couple of weeks
almost to for them to stop excreting that smell, although you may notice
a difference in a matter of days.  Make sure that you pick a top quality
ferret food okay?

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/