From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 13:31:23 EDT
DaisyLou and Boots parent wrote:
>Hi Everyone.  I forgot to get some advice from you on this.  Two of our
>five ferrets have excessively dirty ears, and it has kind of an odor to it.
>The discharge is always thick and A LOT of it, but it's the normal color
>like the other ferrets.  I talked to our vet who checked for mites and said
>that there is no sign of them, so he didn't give me or recommend anything.

Just a thought.  If a human cleans ears too often, the canal gets irritated
and oozes.  I would try just putting a few drops of either mineral oil or
EpiOtic in each ear, massage, and blot with Kleenex.  Try this every few
days for 3-4 weeks, avoid the Q-tip treatment during that time, and see
if waxy exudate decreases.  Please let us know how it goes.

cb