From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 01:05:41 -0700
As a former witch, I've just got to comment on the posting Dayna made about
Satanists murdering animals as part of Halloween celebrations.

I was involved in the pagan community for many, many years and never once
ran into people who cause harm or pain in their rituals.  Personally, I
simply don't believe this stuff happens, but let's just assume it does for
the purpose of this discussion.

Many of you are shelter operators, and so I feel compelled to give you just
a small bit of background regarding paganism and witchcraft.  Pagans and
witches operate under the rule of "as ye harm none, do what ye will." It's
the golden rule of the craft: no matter what, do no harm.  Most pagans and
witches believe that any harm a person causes comes back to that person
three-fold.

The pagans and witches I know are teachers and social workers and computer
programmers and musicians who are well loved in their community.  They are
kind, considerate people who wouldn't hurt a fly.  In fact, they are also
SPCA volunteers, and serve on animal rights committees and so forth.  Why,
most of them are even vegetarians because they can't stand the thought of an
animal dying for their dinner.

I could introduce you to several witches who own ferrets, and they love
their animals very much.  I would hate for you to think that these good
people are involved in the disgusting practices Dayna describes.  In other
words, if you run a shelter and my pagan friend Sally comes to adopt a
ferret from you, please don't discriminate against her because she is a
witch.

Use your own judgement and adopt only to people you think would be good
ferret owners, of course.  But please don't think that witches roast fuzzies
for their Samhain (Halloween) celebrations, because they don't.  When my
pagan friends go out to worship what is holy and good in a park on Halloween
night, their beloved ferrets and cats and hedgehogs and puppies will be home
tucked into bed.  And any black cats who wander into the coven's moonlit
celebration will be kissed, petted, blessed, and sent on their merry way.

Witchcraft is a goddess-based nature religion, and is full of caring people.