From:
Darla Berg-Karagas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:22:21 -0700
Great idea Lisette.  Not only does this give everyone some information
and stories on those precious ones appearing in the 2006 FML calendar,
but it gives us a chance to talk about our babies!  We are lucky enough
to have two of our girls appearing in the upcoming calendar.  Following
are their stories.

Emma : Our 22 year old son came home with a ferret one day, much to our
chagrin.  His name was Spike.  Six months later he came home with Emma
to keep Spike company.  Spike and Emma were kept in a very small cage
and were seldom taken out to play.  Their litter box was filled with a
mountain of poo.  Cedar shavings at the bottom of the cage, and fed
ferret food with fruit.  After a while it became obvious that he had lost
interest in the two of them so we decided to intervene.  We knew nothing
about ferrets so we bought the Ferrets for Dummies book, took to the
Internet and found as much information as we could about them.  We bought
a 3 story cage and lots of bedding and took over the pair.  Our son
didn't mind too much, since he realized that these pets were costly and
time consuming.  Ferret math ensued and we now are mom and dad to a total
of seven ferrets, four which are rescues.  Emma is a dark sable girl who
is now 3 1/2 years old.  She is our very petite little girl who weighs
1 lb. 10 oz.  But don't let her diminutive size fool you.  While she is
somewhat quiet and an likes alone time, don't mess with her.  Emma will
give even our biggest males a run for their money if they mess with her.
She does not back down from anyone.  Emma is a true independent female
who talks to herself when she eats her kibble!  Emma has taken being
in the FML calendar in stride, developing the attitude "of course I'm
in the 2006 edition".  Thanks to everyone for making this little one a
calendar girl.

Desdemona : Desdemona and her sister Olivia were shipped from the breeder
way too young and would or could not eat their kibble.  They basically
just laid there motionless.  Although Des was a little larger and in
better shape than Olivia, they were days if not hours away from the
Rainbow Bridge.  A fellow FML'er, Lisette, learned of this situation and
rescued them.  She hand fed them until they gained strength and were able
to eat on their own.  When they were out of danger, Lisette posted on the
FML the plight of these babies and was looking for a good home to adopt
them since she was unable to keep them due to developing conflicts with
her own ferrets.  E-mails ensued, plans developed and that is how we
were lucky enough to have these little ones enter our lives.  And now
Desdemona is in the 2006 FML calendar, how things have come full circle!
Thank you FML and Lisette for entrusting us with these little ones.  Des
is a cinnamon mitt who just celebrated her first birthday.  She weights
1 lb. 10.5 oz., loves to cuddle and yawns more than any ferret we have
ever seen.  Des can usually be found sprawled out on her favorite red
towel when she is resting on the ferret room floor.  Otherwise she can
be found in a hammie with her new boyfriend Simon, one of our big sable
boys, or hopping around the room like a bunny.  She usually acts very
innocent when mom and dad are around, acting like the perfect angel.
However, when she thinks" the coast is clear", Des is the instigator at
tearing the room apart by knocking everything over and running around
like a crazed ferret.  She has developed quite and attitude now that
she has found out she will be a calendar girl and never misses the
opportunity to let her brothers and sisters know how special she has now
become.  It is extremely fitting that Des appear in the FML calendar due
to the fact that it is because of the FML that we were lucky enough to
find her and give her a forever home.

Don't forget to order your 2006 FML calendar and meet all of the babies
that you have learned a little more about

Thanks,
Darla & Gregg