From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:53:02 EDT
Hi everyone.  Recent questions and concernswere brought up in this chat
room as well as others.  Also the question of whether Merial's vaccines
were reaction free.  We all know that nothing is completely reaction
free.  I have used all the vaccines over the past 14 years and have found
that among reaction rates from highest to lowest is: Fervac, Purevax and
Galaxy D.  I have had and seen several pass on from both Fervac and
Purevax.  I worked as a Vet Tech and was astonished on the reactions even
with pretreating and trying it without pretreating.  I hated when ferrets
came in for their shots because there was at least one reaction a day.
Most of the reactions were mild but there were several fatalities.  I
strictly use Galaxy D now.  The Galaxy D has only produced two mild
reactions in over 500 shots that i have witnessed.  The two that had
reactions also had reactions to the Rabies and upon an investigation,
I administered them the saline solution and they had the reaction.  So
in essence, they were not due to the Galaxy D but because they did react,
i still count them.

This is not the reason I am posting and feel that everyone can decide
which vaccines they would like to use but Legion of Superferrets is
running a poll for vaccines and reaction rates.  I intend on using this
information to send to the maker of the vaccines.  We are trying to
force them to look into the distemper and the rabies shots.  I feel that
the shots are too strong and should not be administered like they are
currently if this is the case.  If a rabies shot they get is good for a
dog for three years, why are we giving it every year.  If fervac has a
titer that lasts almost two years, we are we giving it every year?  So we
are currently working to have this looked into.  I have talked to several
labs that would look into but they want reaction rates and the vaccines
and how many are using it, how many ferrets were given shots at one time,
etc.  I have been working finding a lab that might do the research and
it has peaked several interested parties so if everyone could help by
answering these questions.  You may post it or email (email would be
better) at [log in to unmask]

What vaccines are you currently using and what ones have you used?

How many reactions including mild and severe?

How many ferrets in each set had reactions?

Were they from different lots?

Did any of the ferrrets have a reaction to other shots?

What were the ages of the ferrets that reacted?

Were they pretreated beforehand?

Does the ferret have pre-existing health conditions such as adrenal?

Did the ferret eat or drink water before the shot?

What was the weather like outside?

Was it cold or hot inside?

Was there a draft in the room the ferrets were administered shots?

Were they given a distemper or rabies shot within one week prior?

Thank you all for your help.  LOS is trying to raise funds for this
cause.  Our September show is our fundraiser for this cause.  Also part
of the proceeds are also going to the Cancer kids that need help in our
LOS endorsed and LOS shelters.  If anyone would like to contribute to
either of these funds, please email me at [log in to unmask] and I can
direct you where to send the donations.  Currently we need to raise
$10,000 before the research can be conducted.  So all funds for this
purpose will be put in a Seperate Account until the funds are reached.
I can provide accounting for this account as it grows.  I know I am not
alone in funding this research.  We have too many of our beloved ferrets
because of the vaccines.  Of course in with the research some many still
have reactions but at least we can eliminate the ferrets that are having
reactions due to over vaccinating.  Thank you all for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,
Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets