Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:49:59 -0700
I can see obvious religious and translation problems with Matan's posts,
but the real question remains "What is in the best interest of the animal?"
My intent is to post without flame or blame -- so here goes:

Matan wrote:
>1st, whats that BULSHIT about me being a fraud????????  so what - im an
>israeli and have english spelling mistakes.

My response: Whether or not he is real, the situation regarding the
ferret could be real.  It should be treated as a serious inquiry and a
response should be given.

Matan wrote:
>AND STOP CALLING ME A FOOL - coz i aint so...and believe it or not - not
>all have the same thought as u on spaying....here in ISRAEL its exacly
>like USA....;

My response: No one should be calling anyone names or making them feel
inferior.  We all have things to learn regarding the care of our fuzzies.
It is an ever-changing society we live in.  One good example is my vet
still won't except ADV as something to worry about.  He insists that he's
only seen one case in the last 25 years so it's not something to worry
about.  Everyone is entitled to their beliefs too.  Pro-Choice, Pro-Life,
Republican, Democrat, etc.  It's a choice and a belief that is very
personal to all of us, but will be different for each of us.  I don't have
to agree with him to understand how he feels.  He is doing what he has
been brought up to believe is right.  It's basically the same as telling
a Pro-Lifer to go get an abortion.  What needs to be realized that even
though the notion goes against the grain of what you believe, you must do
what is right for the animal.  Matan, please don't take this the wrong way,
but you are passing a "human" belief on an animal that has no power to
vote.  It is a creature that depends on us for sanctuary.  As hard as it
may be, take a step back and don't look at it as human, but something
given to humans for companionship.

Matan wrote:
>till there r no too mant ferrets here it is just ok to let them breed.
>and whoever said animals r not like humen and dont have the need to
>breed - is really stupid ... why do u think that all the males in many
>animals fight to get sex with the female???!!!  its nor for sex of
>course but its no pass on their genes ... how narrow can u b?

My response:
I see a strong believe (religious or not) here.  I personally (and this
means my view may not be shared by others) believe that breeding them
until there are too many is wrong.  That kind of thinking may very well
have been what started the Marshall Farms wars.  I can understand your
feelings or belief that sex is for population or spreading your genes, but
there are circumstances that require alternative actions.  You need to
decide whether or not the ferret is suffering.  Procreation aside, is the
ferret suffering?  Will it suffer if not taken care of?  Try to see it
from a different perspective.  No, they are not human.  We treat them as
children, but they are still not human and should not have to live by our
example, pay for our sins or be categorized and live by our rules.  We
are the superior species and must do what is right by them.  To me, that
is the bottom line.  This takes care of the next statement: I will compare
the situation with humans.

Matan wrote:
>I think the answer is obvious.  health is not all in life.  and what's
>that stupid thing some1 said that it doesnt metter since they dont know
>what they r missing.

My response: Again, you cannot compare a ferret to a human.  (okay, a
religious statement is about to be made, please take no offense if it
differs from your own) Ferrets were not created in GOD's image.  We were.
It is up to us to take care of what HE has provided for us.  If we destroy
it, we no longer have it for our pleasure.  Matan, think for just a moment
and ask yourself ... "If this creature dies because of my feelings about
sex and life, what do I have?" You'll have nothing!  You will no longer
have her company or the ability to teach others about the care or what
they have to offer us.

I myself do not believe in abortion, but for medical circumstances to
maintain life, I believe it is necessary.  You have already watched her
personality change and have lost her companionship.  Do you want to lose
her entirely?  If this procedure helps her to live and not to suffer, is
it all that wrong?  You don't know what she is feeling by being in heat
all the time.  As a woman, I can tell you that hormones can make you feel
quite awful when they are out of control.  I can only imagine how this
little animal is feeling.

Sorry for the length.  I really felt the need to say something on this one.

Lynn (Harley, Sneekers, Jake, Max and Tippy)