Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:03:27 -0400
Words fail me with respect to the Halloween fantasy gore featured in MF's
Issue #24.  So, I'll not address those images directly.  I have already
returned the copy I purchased; and completed the required Returned Goods
Form with the statement that I found some of its content "offensive".  The
lifeblood of a magazine is primarily its readers and advertisers.  What
*is* just as offensive to me is the *lack of respect* shown by MF to its
supporters.  Why would the principals of any publication make the
*conscious choice* to knowingly offend a portion of its readership?  To
what end?  And brag about being offensive on the cover?  And be further
disrespectful with editorial comments and by poking fun (in effect
"thumbing their noses") at those readers who they already know *will* be
offended?

There seems to be LACK OF RESPECT:
1. For the ADVERTISERS who support MF and trust MF to provide the type
content the ferret community desires.  (MF loses readers; MF advertisers
lose customers.  Simple as that.)

2. For the INDIVIDUALS who submitted stories/photos of their ferrets.
(Many of whom are proud of their submissions are now too embarrassed to
show Issue #24 to others for fear of offending.)

3. For the CONTRIBUTING WRITERS who spend their valuable time researching
and writing informative "gratis" articles that end up taking a back seat to
shock-value features.  (Alicia's excellent article on Helping Your Ferret
Make a Great Recovery from Surgery---sadly, I fear will be overlooked in
this firestorm re the gruesome/unfunny photos.)

4. For those FERRET OWNERS who have tragically lost their ferrets to
horrible accidents and/or the abuse and hatred of others brought against
their beloved pets.  (How disrespectful--also to the memory of the beloved
animal companion--to rekindle via graphic photos those traumatic memories
for these already emotionally devastated ferret folks.)

5. For SHELTER OPERATORS who do see the tragic consequences of sadistic
minds at work with regard to ferrets who have suffered REAL harm at the
hands of dysfunctional people.

6. For the FERRETS themselves.  (Publishing questionable photos which
depict the dismemberment and killing of ferrets (albeit "staged") is
indefensible....esp.  around a holiday where it isn't even safe for black
kittens/cats to go outside....much less be adopted from local Shelters!)

So, what are OUR conscious choices if we are, indeed, offended?  We have
many.  Too often, subscribers are a "captive" audience for questionable
material in publications we trust.  Thus, offended subscribers can, of
course, do the ultimate:
(1) Cancel your subscription and request a refund of your unused monies.
(2) If your subscription is currently due for renewal, don't renew.
(3) Remove the offending pages from your copy and mail back to MF with a
    request for a refund for Issue #24.
(4) Those who are not subscribers can return the offending issue to the
    store where purchased and request a refund (as I did).
(5) Do not purchase MF#24.  (Stacks of unsold copies arriving back on a
    publisher's doorstep speak VOLUMES!) And, instead, contact MF directly
    requesting a reprint of Sue Peet's and/or Alicia Drakiotes' valuable
    articles.

These are simple but effective ways to send your message of
dissatisfaction.  No need to put yourself in the uneviable position of
being flamed by others with differing opinions.  It can be pretty
intimidating to speak out against the *big* names (no pun intended here,
BIG!) who regularly post here.  YOUR opinion is just as important as any
one else's.

Many will feel strong disapproval on MF#24, but may not have the time
and/or feel comfortable to post publiclyl.  Please don't think YOU can't do
anything about it and, instead, opt to *do nothing*.  By *doing nothing*,
it will only be perceived that MF's in-poor-taste photojournalism IS
acceptable to the *silent majority* of readers---and MF will continue and,
most likely, ever so inconspicuously increase the amount of shocking
content in future issues under various guises of "humor"...until you are
desensitized to animal abuse/suffering.  Do not let others have you
question your own sense of what is funny and/or your Belief system in what
is good and decent.  Provide MF with *respectful* feedback of what you
and/or your family consider distasteful/inappropriate in their magazine.

Lastly, let's all not further this lack of respect for our fellow Beings by
additionally having our hardworking and gracious Moderator have to sort
through and reject a barrage of nasty flame-o-grams.

If MF wishes to change the niche it seeks into something more "cultish" and
prefers *not* to be supported by mainstream ferret folks seeking expert
guidance and education in regard to keeping their ferrets as safe, happy
and healthy beloved family members, that's their decision.  It's up to us
to take responsibility to provide MF with strong, but respectful feedback
on items that DO, indeed, offend us.  If MF continues to make conscious
decisions to ignore valid criticism from the majority of its normally
"silent" readers, then MF should not wonder "For Whom the Bell Tolls"...it
tolls for thee.

Sheri