Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:37:29 EDT
>From:    John Hill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Water cooler
>This question is: how well can ferrets go with genets?  I heard a little
>bit about genets and I have been interested about them.  They sound exotic.
>In fact, they probably are.

Genets, I have heard, are like ferrets - but larger and much more hyper.
Imagine a ferret on caffine!  The woman I spoke of that had one said she
feeds it kitten food and cooked chicken - she said "just like a ferret".  I
am not sure if she currently has ferrets (she drooled over mine and had to
stop looking at them or she was gonna end up with my little toeless kit).
She does have several other animals like lammas, wallabies, birds, cats,
etc.  She is really a permanent rescue for the missunderstood and abused
"exotic" critters.  She says that the genets look very much like a ferret -
long and slinky styled body - but their coats are spotted like a leopard
and they have rings on their tails.  She says hers is very spastic and into
everything - nonstop!

Check out this web site http://www.intertex.net/users/rzu2u/genets.htm for
more info & photos where I got the following info:

"Genets are the sports model of the "ferret" world.  They weigh 3-5
lbs.  and stand about 7 inches at the shoulders.  Their bodies are long and
lean like a ferret, but more closely related to the civet and cats.  The
species we currently raise have lovely coats of silver background with
black spots.  Their very long, fluffy tail is silver and ringed with black
stripes.  They are cat- like in the face with retractable claws and shorter
limbs suitable for tree dwelling animals.  They love to lay on shelves with
their beautiful tails gracefully hanging down.  They are excellent mousers
and avid about catching any insect around.  There are several species and
sub-species.  At the moment we are breeding the small spotted with the
color described above.  Some species eat fruit, cat food (dry) and raw
chicken.  Some will only eat raw chicken and mice.  Some will also eat
eggs.  We give complete diet directions.  The easily litter train!
Lifespan is about 15 years."

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521