From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:51:09 -0400
I hope you all noticed the post in Tuesday's FML regarding the 2-1/2 year
old female silver-mitt ferret in Calgary, Alberta that is losing weight and
probably has a blockage.  Her owners want to find her a new home and say
they cannot afford her surgery ( approx.  $250.00 ) I think she goes in for
X-rays today, but they are thinking of putting her to sleep or giving her
back to the SPCA because they can't afford her surgery and she does not get
along with their ferret Scout.

We need to do something here folks....FAST ! ! !

I have e-mailed her owners telling them to go ahead with surgery ASAP and I
will gather donations for her surgery AND find her a new home.  I know the
FML people are the greatest in the world, and very caring and generous when
it comes to fuzzies.  You all know my financial situation is pretty sad here
due to multiple medical problems with the ferrets here now, so I had an
idea.

Today there are 2240 subscribers to the FML.  What if everyone could send
only $1.00 for this little girl's surgery?  I know that is probably not
quite possible as some are having financial problems of their own, some read
the FML only occasionally, and some probably never read it, but if *only ten
percent* of all of the readers send just $1.00 that will pretty much take
care of this emergency.  ($224.00) What do you think?

I am willing to personally coordinate funds and take care of the incoming
donations and pay the vet directly with the donatins for this little one's
surgery.  I have e-mailed the ferrets owners asking them to get back to me
immediately and as soon as I have confirmation, I can begin "collecting"...

WAIT....Don't send money yet, as I do not know the current situation.  I am
waiting on their reply.  I will post to the FML as information comes in.

In the meantime, all I need is to know that you guys are willing to donate
to this cause and that we *can* cover this.  If you can simply e-mail me
with a *YES* indicating that you are willing to send at least send $1.00
then I can breathe a sigh of relief and begin work on finding someone in the
Calgary area that can offer this one a great home.  (Too much 'traffic' on
AOL this morning, can't connect to sites I need to do this at the moment.)

Knowing the generosity of you wonderful people, I suspect that we may get
even more than the $250 (that does not mean you should "wait and see", I
NEED you now!).  Anyway, this is why I think we need a "coordinator" (rather
than sending checks directly to the ferret's current owner) so that the
funds can be sent directly to the vet and so extra funds can be sent back to
the ones who sent it or passed on to the new owners for the ferret's
post-surgical medical care, or to whom ever the one donating wants to
specify.  I WILL NOT keep the excess for my own use here, perhaps they can
go to start a club/shelter in Calgary or whatever you people want.  I don't
know that there will be excess funds, this is a "just in case" type of
thought.

My e-mail address is [log in to unmask] and also [log in to unmask], my phone is
817-599-7740, and my pager is 817-425-1740. If we can help and donations are
in order, they can be sent to Patricia Curtis at Ferrets First Rescue &
Shelter    3801 Zion Hill Loop    Weatherford, Texas 76088

****Please specify that they are for the Canada ferret rescue, so I will
know, and include your e-mail address with any check or ??****

Again, please only "confirm that you are willing to send funds", DO NOT
actually send them yet.

Okay, now get to that mail, and send me your confirmations.

Thanks,

Trish