From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:17:55 -0400
Yes .. I am posting anonymously since I work for them and this may be
a breach of ethics.

It has come to my attention that ...
As of June 23rd and going forward ... Petco will NO LONGER be getting
their ferrets directly from Marshals Farms, but instead through the
same vendor that they get ALL their other small animals from. In the
New England area ... this means they will be ordered through a company
called Fish Mart. I am not sure how this is going to be handled in
other parts of the US.

Fish Mart is not a breeder, but rather a distributor. At this time, I
do not know from whom they get their ferrets but am working on finding
out that information as there are several possibilities out there.

I for one am a bit upset by this news, having dealt with some MAJOR
issues with some of the other animals that have come from there. There
are stores that are dealing with a major lice problem with a shipment
of mice and rats that they received and not discovered in time to
refuse the order. I have seen them try to deliver guinea pigs that
are too young and under weight, animals that have or develop upper
respirtory infections, have or develop wet tail and more!

I am not saying that Fish Mart is all bad ... we do get some very
healthy animals from there as well, but they do have some issues that
need to be addressed. I am praying that ferrets will not be one of
the "issues".

So ... anyone out there that may also work for or shelters that deal
with Petco ... be aware of this new turn of events! Keep an eye on new
ferret shipments!

Concerned in New England!